Back in the day------

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
This is "how we rolled" in the heyday of SAC or Strategic Air Command.

SAC Exercise Global Shield

This was filmed around 1980 at Griffiss AFB, NY. This video shows the ultra close takeoff intervals used to get airplanes off the ground as quickly as possible in the event a Soviet missle launch was detected. The interval between different aircraft types was increased because of performance differences. It is also worth noting how the B-52's later in the video are clearly much lighter than the first ones. You can tell based on the lack of smoke indicating water injection wasn't being used and yet they are off the ground much earlier.

spideygsm24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tail Gunner:

Thank you for your service. I was a weapons loader and an engineering assistant in the Air Force myself 10/80 through 3/87. One regret I have is not hanging in there for twenty. I had a line number for Tech Sgt when the Air Force did a force reduction and said re-up or get out. I got out, went to college and became a structural engineer.

Once again, thank you for your service, good luck along your continuing career path and keep sending in the videos.

Spidey

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW !

Every Time I see those kinds of clips, I'm reminded: I surly wouldn't have Ever wanted to be.. on the Receiving end of all that.

Thanks TG ;tu

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
:clap::clap:

WOW
we used to watch them big critters from the floating docks we had on lake bistenaue near barks dale afb when i was younger

:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg