Back to the game!

Veece

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey there,
After taking the summer off from towing, I'm back in the 550!
Been doing some creepin round here, and decided to make it official.
I'll try to get some more pics of the rig up soon, as I lost the old ones.
I'll also try to throw some pics of the crazy MN/ND winter up here and the odd loads I'll be pullin.
I guess I'll add, I'm running an '08 F-550 XLT 4X4 with an aluminium Jerrdan HPL 6000 bed, which is a 6000 lb under lift with dual 10,000 lb winches on the wrecker boom. Besides a EGT sensor going out and the under cab fuel presser sensor getting replaced next week, it has been one massive powerhouse! That truck made me a Ford fan:sly

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Welcome! Def post sum pics of that truck. For some reason I've always wanted a tow truck business. I think I would prefer a rollback though so I could do other jobs. Sucks there are already tons of towing companies around here. There are some sweet F650's around here that i would love to have. What trucks did you use to have before??

Veece

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What trucks did you use to have before??

Well first off, I'll get some pics posted sunday! Well, I started with an old '98 GMC 3500 wrecker with a 454, which had seen better days of the 290K it had when it was traded in. Then I moved to a '04 Chevy 3500 with the 6.6L, that truck was originally built for the '04 brickyard 400. And now going on my second winter in the 550. Our company has 2 matching '08 550's, the '04 Duramax, and just got a '10 5500 Dodge with the 6.7L last winter. In addition, we run a 7500 GMC flatbed with a 13L CAT and a TopKick GMC 2 ton with the same engine.

For owning towing company, it is interesting, I'm acctually considering buying in after a few years possibly. The main issues would be demand area with other companies. We have 2 companies that the previous owner bought to get started, taking care of the other main issues equipment start up costs and accounts for buisness. My 550 was just under 100k brand new. And you want accounts established for repair shops, Uhaul and appartments for the money maker impounds.
I could go on but if the conditions are right, it is pretty sweet.

Ok, well I'll get those picks up tomorrow, I just got my LED's the other day

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Nice pics. Thanks for the info. My gf's dad used to work for AAA as a tow driver. He ran a rollback most of the time and he had his own tire shop. He actually said he wants to start a towing business.I was lookin at used tow trucks on craigslist and ebay. I would only own Fords if I ever got a tow truck. So you mainly use reg tow trucks instead of roll backs??

Veece

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a far off idea of buying in when the owner leaves. Its a pretty good business.
Well the way we are working, everyone brings their 1 ton wrecker home at night, and your on call a few nights a week. Then if you need the rollback or 2 ton, you take those out. The rollback is nice but the 550 will pull just about anything so there is usally not much need for the others, around here at least.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a far off idea of buying in when the owner leaves. Its a pretty good business.
Well the way we are working, everyone brings their 1 ton wrecker home at night, and your on call a few nights a week. Then if you need the rollback or 2 ton, you take those out. The rollback is nice but the 550 will pull just about anything so there is usally not much need for the others, around here at least.

You use the words "Their 1 ton"...So do you own your 550.. or is it a company wrecker ??

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14