Question back up camera reverse light wiring

the cable guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a reverse camera hooked up for a while now, Works great for backing up to the trailer.
I have a seperate switch on the dash, I now want to wire it into the reverse circuit so it comes on when I shift into reverse.

Does anyone have the wire color and approx location under the dash or kick board?

thanks

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could wire it into the center pole on your 7 pin connector at the camera.
That's how I originally had mine, but later put it on a switch. I didn't like it coming on at night and giving me night blindness. I'd rather be able to cut it on at will. About the only time that I really need it is when I'm hooking up to a trailer.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's how I originally had mine, but later put it on a switch. I didn't like it coming on at night and giving me night blindness. I'd rather be able to cut it on at will. About the only time that I really need it is when I'm hooking up to a trailer.

x2...same way I have my gauges hooked up. I dont need them on them late night cruises.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Splice into the backup light circuit at the rear of the truck. Then the only way the camera comes on is when the backup lights are on.

I leave my camera on all of the time, though. When I tow my fifth-wheel travel trailer, I get a good view of all four trailer tires when towing.

the cable guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input on the use of the trailer connector, I would like to keep the connection and wiring in the cab if possible. That's why I was looking for the reverse wire location coming off the steering column

the cable guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all wired up, comes on when I shift to reverse and I have a dash switch for manual override.

Thanks for the hint on the center pin on the 7 pin connector

Merry Xmas

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg