Backing Plate (Dust Shield) some call it

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
So, went to replace the back rotors and low and behold the backing plate issue had arrived at my truck.

Replaced the rotors and checked the E brake pads and all seemed ok. Put it back together and just drove around the section. (4 miles) Got back to check on the rear brakes and one rotor was more than hot. Took it part after letting it cool and sure enough the E Brake pad had seperated from the plate it is supposed to be attached too and was sitting on the top half of the axle making the rotor now a brownish tint.:rant

Took the Rotor off and the pin had pulled through on that brake pad and was in pieces. Went to the other side and the pin had pulled through as well and the clip was in 2 pieces and had gouged the E brake section of the rotor and it came around and messed with the backing plate enough that it now rubs on the rotor just enough to drive me insane.

After looking for backing plates I see that dorman makes them 924-212 is the part number, but they won't be available until the end of October. I won't pay the $240 a side that Ford wants for plate that is going to do the samething all over again.

Thinking of getting a petition going and having Ford do a recall on all the Superduty's with this part. Hard to use a 5spd when you no longer have an ebrake.:dunno

Little frustrated with the truck and this is the first time I have worked on it and not made it better than what I started with and still have the squeek to remind me the job is not complete and won't be for at least 2 months. :doh:

Venting is now done.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
they're available from the dealer.. seems like the only way they come is with the e-brake already assembled on them..
never looked to see if you can get them aftermarket...

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, just had to replace the right side on mine as well. My father-in-law works at a dealership, so I got it for about $125 I think.

Still, it's a joke that it was designed with two thin stamped sheet plates sandwiched like that...it's just asking it to rust out.

It looks like it is only the one side...for now. Not good though for only being just over 5 year old.

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
Yes, they are available at the dealership complete with E brake assembly, but I can get that kit for $40 and the backing plate at the end of October for $40 and only have $80 into it instead of the $240 per side. So we can say they only want $200 for the plate.?.?

Getting the new ones coated so that this doesn't happen again or at least within a few years.

Dorman's aftermarket number for just the plate is 924-212 .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14