Bad fuel leak

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a need to leave my truck at idle for a long period of time (an hour maybe) and sometime during this time it developed a fuel leak. I had a 1/2 tank of fuel when I started, just happened to notice fuel gauge at 1/8 tank and thought something was wrong with gauge. Within 10 to 15 minutes truck died, out of fuel. It was right at dark so I have not been able to really check things out but have found valley below and under fuel filter saturated with fuel. Since there is no fuel in truck I can not see where leak is. It will be in the morning before I can get back to it. Does anyone have any quick suggestions what may be wrong and where to start looking for my problem?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Quite possibly your fuel bowl is rotted through or a fuel line from the fuel pump is leaking.

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you refering to the fuel filter canister? Also there is a rubber line coming out of the FPR and going down in the valley, what does it connect to?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yes, the fuel filter canister is what I was refering to, and that hose you are talking about from the FPR goes down in the valley under the filter canister and connects to the fuel pump.

The fuel canister can rot out from corrosion caused by water that collects in the bottom and it will evelop a crack and leak. Not common but by all means possible. And the hoses, well, they are rubber hoses and they age and crack.

Do as Crumm suggested and make sure its not something simple like a bad lid gasket or drain valve (yellow valve on the front passengers side of filter canister).

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rubber line that comes down from the fpr connects to a fitting @ the bottom of the fuel canister

The majority of the fuel fittings and anything that has to do with the fuel system is in the valley leaving you with pretty much any number of possiblities as to the source of the leak.

I'd suggest checking the banjo bolt on the back of the fuel pump as well as all of the gaskets & drain valve before you go trying much else.

Have you recently changed your fuel filter? Is your fuel filter one w/ an attached lid or using the reusable lid?

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems that the fuel filter canister is the problem. It had two holes in it, one was aboout the size of a pencil eraser and the other a bit smaller. They are all sealed with JB Weld and waiting for the 15 hour cure. However the small electrical element in fuel bowl was not attached to the stainless plate at the bottom of the bowl and was unplugged on the outside. How important is this to be fixed and what is the procedure to fix it. Thanks for all the good replys.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
It was probably unplugged because the previous owner had problems with the fuse blowing. When the fuel heater fuse blows the truck dies. You only need to replace the heater if you are planning on operating the truck in freezing temperatures. If you do plan on running in the cold you would be better off ordering a new heater element from powerstrokeshop.com rather than repairing the old one. many guys solder them up but they last a limited amount of time after repair and just cause you trouble down the road.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
threejacks,

If I read your sig right you bought this truck new, at some point in the time that you have owned it did you experience problems like what Crumm is talking about and maybe a mechanic unhooked the fuel heater? At any rate, in Ky. I really doubt you will need it hooked up. Mine is (and has been) unhooked and it gets chilly here in the winter.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
If I read your sig right you bought this truck new.

At any rate, in Ky. I really doubt you will need it hooked up.

Stroker, With you studying all the facts you just make the rest of us look silly. Quit it:roflmao

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14