Bad oil cooler suspected

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this last trip to the dunes pulling the 5er I saw ect and eot with a 25deg delta which with my flash threw a wrench light on though I didn't lose any power. On the way back the temps never got over an 11deg delta and ambient air temp was in the 90+ range. I noticed today unloaded on my way to return core batts that my delta was in the 15deg range. I'm in need of a coolant change at my question is should I flush the crap out of it with restore and restore+ then change the oil cooler or just flush with water and keep on eye on it. The reason I ask is because I just bought an egr delete that I will be installing but would prefer to do so without removing the intake or anything else that I don't have to.:coffee

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this last trip to the dunes pulling the 5er I saw ect and eot with a 25deg delta which with my flash threw a wrench light on though I didn't lose any power. On the way back the temps never got over an 11deg delta and ambient air temp was in the 90+ range. I noticed today unloaded on my way to return core batts that my delta was in the 15deg range. I'm in need of a coolant change at my question is should I flush the crap out of it with restore and restore+ then change the oil cooler or just flush with water and keep on eye on it. The reason I ask is because I just bought an egr delete that I will be installing but would prefer to do so without removing the intake or anything else that I don't have to.:coffee
At 15* your oil cooler is shot or plugged if it were me i would do a Restore and Restore+ to remove the silicates from the Ford Gold Cxxp coolant do you have a coolant filter on to remove the casting sand the system needs to be filtered for about 5-7k before a flush then do the flush this is the one i did it only took me 12.5hrs and a 1/4 tank of fuel.
This should help you understand the reason to ditch the Gold junk it can't take the heat. Gauges are a must to do this need to know EOT-ECT
Replaced oil cooler still difference in temps - Page 21 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Flushing and cleaning the 6.0

Restore is for cleaning out any silicate goo. VC-9 is for cleaning out iron and scale. Restore Plus is the same as VC-9 and cheaper.

To flush drain the coolant by removing the lower radiator hose from the radiator, and removing the drain plug from the driver side of the block. There is a drain plug on the passenger side also but you have to remove the starter to get to it. I don't bother with that one.
I also highly recommend you pull the thermostat out on your first drain and put the housing back without the thermostat. It only takes about 10 minutes and will save you 2.5 hrs or so in doing this whole procedure.

Ok now put the lower hose back on and the drain plug back in the block if you removed it. This is the procedure you will use each time to drain the system, except you will not touch the thermostat again until you're finished the whole procedure. Make sure that you set your heater to high while doing this to flush out the heater core as well.

Fill the cooling system with distilled water, start the truck and let the water circulate for 5 minutes. (if you did not remove the thermostat you must run the truck until the thermostat opens + 5 minutes to circulate. This takes 15 to 20 minutes each cycle and is why you should just remove the thermostat) Stop the engine. Drain the system and repeat the flush.

Now add at least 1/2 gallon of Restore and fill with distilled water. I used cardboard in front of the radiator because you have to get to 185* 190* for these products to work. Drive truck or run on high idle for 60-90 minutes just before you get back from your drive remove the cardboard this will help in the cool down same on the Restore+ flush. Drain and flush 3 or 4 times. or tell clean

Add 2qts VC-9 or 1/2gal of Restore Plus, top with distilled water, and drive the truck or run on high idle for 60-90 minutes. Now drain and flush until flush water comes out clear and clean. When you get clean flush water, flush 3 more times using distilled water while draining the block.

After your final distilled water drain it is time to put the thermostat back in. I recommend you install a new thermostat at this point. They are only $20 or so and it is good maintenance procedure to do so. Fill with 3.5 or 4 gals of ELC concentrated coolant and top off with distilled water. Drive the truck or let run for a while topping off with distilled water. Check the truck over the next few days and top up as required while any air left in the system works its way out.

Keep some 50/50 ELC on hand to use to top off the cooling system from here out and you are good to go.

new t/stat from Ford it should all come together (housing-t/stat-o-ring) in a box. The part number is RT-1169

Here is the Restore Product from Cummins dealer
http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/produ...LI33024-GB.pdf
2 stroker

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58