Bad oil temp sensor- Culpret of RUFF idle?

AlaskaRedneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been having a rather RUFF idle. I initially thought it was a bad O-ring, but I got my truck scanned today and my OTS turned up as bad. My mechanic buddy told me that could be the problem, as if the computer was getting wrong info about the temp, it could be dumping lots of fuel into the motor, causing a ruff idle.

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

-Matt

smokyred

SDD Wannabe Mod #2
Reaction score
I think I would swap it out, I'm pretty sure it's cheap, and if it's where I think it is on top of the HPOP reservoir, it's an easy swap! :D

Man I haven't been on here in forever!! :sorry

Dave

ON EDIT: EOT sensor is $24 per powerstrokeshop, and it is located on the rear of the HPOP reservoir! ;-)

Last edited:

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try to give you the abbreviated story - sorry its so long. I finally got my truck fixed last week. The problem that I had, was when the truck was up to operating temperature the engine sometimes would start to buck, it would come and go. I took it into the shop about 3 weeks ago, and the CPS and Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor codes came up. The tech replaced the CPS and sent me on my way. (he did not believe the EBPS had anything to do with my problem). I called back a couple of days later because it was still doing the same thing. I took it back in he checked the codes and again the EBPS code was back in, and he still did not believe that was the problem. We went for a test drive and he could start to feel the miss or bucking. I drove back to the shop while he played with the computer and he noticed the fuel pulse was a little weird, then he found the engine oil temperature was reading 178F and then it would drop to 52F and it would move around. Went back in and put a new engine oil temperature sensor in and went for another test drive and the oil temp stayed at 196F to 194F. The tech said when the oil temp would drop the engine would inject in more fuel to try and warm up the engine. (I think that is what he said.) That was fixed last Monday and everything is still fine. I hope someone can use this info.

This is a post by Nascarjunky years ago

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does a bucking thing.mostly when going up a hill and i get tords the top and i'm backing out of it alittle so i don't gain alot of speed goping over the top.when i'm not on the flue and not out of the fuel.does that make any sence.
i will try a new one and see if that fixes it.
thanks

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
my 97 might be doing the same thing. It only bucks enough to feel it and hear it. It only does it every once in a while could this be the same problem?

AlaskaRedneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a new EOTS in, and the code went away, but it still has a wierd idle. It does NOT buck, just idles ruff.

Maybe its not getting enough fuel pressure? How do I check that? And what is right psi, and how do I modify it to get it?

-Matt

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel pressure is checked at the schrader valve on the fuel pressure regulator which is on the driver's side of the fuel bowl.

If my memory serves me right you should have between 40-60 psi at idle

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58