Question Bag it?????

waynebudke

Chris
Reaction score
The wife and I are considering a 5'er to camp in. We have a 29ft toyhauler now and are looking looking at stepping up to a 32 class 5'er. My 250 should handle it well enough but my neighbors rig, used as a test rig, sags the springs a little bit. Thinking about some helper air bags. Comments? Suggestions? Please send them my way. Bags or helper springs, which would be better

How much weight would I be safe pulling with my 250 in a 5'er. With bags I can increase my payload to 14000.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(How much weight would I be safe pulling with my 250 in a 5'er. With bags I can increase my payload to 14000)
You can't increase your payload by adding anything to your truck, that's set at the factory when the truck is new.
Now to get the truck to ride level I would put the air bags on the truck. Check out this or other links.
Doug
Suspension Air Bags & Air Helper Springs by Firestone, Air Lift & Hellwig

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(How much weight would I be safe pulling with my 250 in a 5'er. With bags I can increase my payload to 14000)
You can't increase your payload by adding anything to your truck, that's set at the factory when the truck is new.
Now to get the truck to ride level I would put the air bags on the truck. Check out this or other links.
Doug
Suspension Air Bags & Air Helper Springs by Firestone, Air Lift & Hellwig

;tu X2 with what Doug said.

You can Stabilize a F-250 using various methods, but the GCVWR stays the same.

Last edited:

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like WD40 said, you can't add one pound of extra capacity by installing air bags. Air bags just help to support the load.

What year is your 250? If it's in the 99-02 range, you have a GVWR or 8,800 lbs and a GCWR of 20,000 lbs.

Given that the 250's and SRW 350's are extremely similar, you can get away with a GVWR of 9,900 lbs.

Here are some approximate weights for you to consider:

Truck weight with fuel and passengers - 8,000 lbs
GVWR of fifth wheel - 12,000 lbs

If the GVWR of the fifth wheel is 12,000 lbs or less and your "ready to go" truck weight is 8,000 lbs or less, you will be under the GCWR of your 250.

Tongue weight - Most will say that the tongue weight of a fiver is 15-20% of the GVWR of the trailer. That means a 12k lb fiver will place 1,800-2,400 lbs onto the truck.

Lets split the difference and say 2,100 lbs. With the 250's GVWR being 8,800 lbs, the truck would have to weigh in at no more than 6,700 lbs. Using the SRW 350's rating of 9,900, the truck would have to weigh less than 7,800 lbs.

As you can see, those of us running single rear wheels typically run out of capacity on the truck long before we run out of towing capacity.

I hope that makes sense.

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wife and I are considering a 5'er to camp in. We have a 29ft toyhauler now and are looking looking at stepping up to a 32 class 5'er. My 250 should handle it well enough but my neighbors rig, used as a test rig, sags the springs a little bit. Thinking about some helper air bags. Comments? Suggestions? Please send them my way. Bags or helper springs, which would be better

How much weight would I be safe pulling with my 250 in a 5'er. With bags I can increase my payload to 14000.

I have a leveled F350 and when I hooked to my toy hauler the rear sagged, if it wasn't leveled it would have been fine. I put a set of Firestone bags on it and am very happy with the ride and look of the truck hooked up now. If you add helper springs, when you are unloaded, it will ride like a lumber wagon.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a leveled F350 and when I hooked to my toy hauler the rear sagged, if it wasn't leveled it would have been fine. I put a set of Firestone bags on it and am very happy with the ride and look of the truck hooked up now. If you add helper springs, when you are unloaded, it will ride like a lumber wagon.

Sez it All.. right there ?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at putting air ride on my F-350 and the only way it would have worked was running a F-650 air ride system. The cost was crazzy so I did not run with it anymore then that.
Wayne
What year is your truck? I have a extra air bag set up for a f250/350.

waynebudke

Chris
Reaction score
Mine in a 2002 F250 SD, 7.3L, just dropped back to stock height so as I can pull my new 5'er toy hauler we are picking up tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58