Ball joint going bad?

your2slow

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just noticed today that I have a creak in my front end when I hit a bump or go over a speed bump? Do you think this is caused by the ball joints or could it be something else?

Ben

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The only way to make sure it is a ball joint is to jack up the suspect tire and grab the tire at the twelve o'clock and six o'clock position and shake it hard. Is it loose? Loose=bad ball joint.

Dave

CHPMustang

Reaction score
If the ball joints pass the tug test shoot some silicone spray onto the white plastic tabs in between the spring leafs as they tend to get dry.

Bill :cowboy:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I friend with an '00 F-350 CC V-10 had the same symptom. His driver's side lower ball joint was dry and the squeek was LOUD so he had all four replaced. It was so loud that I said his truck is only an F-346 until repaired. :D

I had my ball joints replaced a few months ago but they didn't squeek...they were just worn out (by not having zirks on the uppers to lube periodically). I made sure the shop put zirks on all four. Don't know if the SDs have room for four zirks.:dunno

your2slow

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll jack it up and give the ball joints a test.

The tabs in between the leaf springs sounds like a possibility since I washed the underneath of my truck recently with degreaser. The truck only has 46k miles, but I've heard of people getting less miles out of ball joints.

your2slow

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I shot some RemOil in between the spring leafs today and that seems to have cured my creaking noise. I'll still check the balljoints out just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14