ball joint help please

john mathis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2002 4x4. lower ball joint is bad! Are there any articles that tell step by step directions for a do-it-yourselfer? I have a ball joint press borrowed. The chilton manual is not a very good source for this info. What do I need to be carefull with, and are there any secrets to changing these? thanks john

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Look in the SDD Technical Articles WIKI section in the TOP BLUE LINE and click on the Articles and look for my write-up on Ball Joints. Not hard to do if you have a ball joint press. The only "secret" that I can think if is not to remove the top ball joint nut until you get the lower nut off. It will fall on you if you do.

Dave

coondog491

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of tips:

1. to get the spindle off of the front axle hit the housing around the ball joint hard with a good sledge and the spindle should fall right out. DONT HIT THE TOP OF THE BALL JOINT TO GET THE SPINDLE OFF.

2. when you take the hub off make sure to get a new o ring for it, a yellow one. and while you in there you might as well put new seals on the axle shafts.

3. just my two cents, if i were you i would go ahead and do all the ball joints now while you still got the puller. it would be better in the long run. if one is bad, chances are the others aren't far behind

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at least do both on the side you are taking apart. Dont just replace the lower and reuse the upper.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
A large pickle fork is what i use to get the ball joints loose. These can be rented, also.

Dave

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
1. to get the spindle off of the front axle hit the housing around the ball joint hard with a good sledge and the spindle should fall right out. DONT HIT THE TOP OF THE BALL JOINT TO GET THE SPINDLE OFF.

What did the trick for me was to unscrew each of the mounting stud nuts to where they were even with the top of the stud. Then I took a sacrificeable deepwell socket and put it on the nut. I took a BFH and beat the crap out the socket on each of the four nuts, in turn, until the spindle came loose from the steering knuckle. Also, liberal amounts of penetrating oil was used.

Sometimes, when things are rusted together, you just have to be forceful with them. Talking nicely to it don't cut-it.

On reassembly, a lot of anti-sieze was used.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58