ball joint question/dilemma

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Last year my truck was in an accident where a car drove into the front passenger side wheel destroying it. In addition, there was fender damage, shock damage and my leaf springs were twisted...all on the passenger side. The body shop did a great job replacing what is listed above (they replaced both front leaf springs) but 35K later my upper and lower ball joints need replacement. They never checked the ball joints but had it aligned after their repairs.

Should I insist that the insurance claim be reopened because if my front end was perfect after the body shop work then my ball joints should be good after 35K? :dunno :dunno :dunno

I'd think that the collision force very well could have damaged the ball joints.

I had the ball joints changed 114K ago in 2002 when I first got the truck. Is about 100K the service life for ball joints?

The thought of me paying for my second set of upper and lower ball joints in three years makes me mad. It's not the price of the parts...IT'S THE DARN LABOR COSTS... -mad -mad -mad

stroke_smoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hheynow said:
Last year my truck was in an accident where a car drove into the front passenger side wheel destroying it. In addition, there was fender damage, shock damage and my leaf springs were twisted...all on the passenger side. The body shop did a great job replacing what is listed above (they replaced both front leaf springs) but 35K later my upper and lower ball joints need replacement. They never checked the ball joints but had it aligned after their repairs.

Should I insist that the insurance claim be reopened because if my front end was perfect after the body shop work then my ball joints should be good after 35K? :dunno :dunno :dunno

I'd think that the collision force very well could have damaged the ball joints.

I had the ball joints changed 114K ago in 2002 when I first got the truck. Is about 100K the service life for ball joints?

The thought of me paying for my second set of upper and lower ball joints in three years makes me mad. It's not the price of the parts...IT'S THE DARN LABOR COSTS... -mad -mad -mad
you got a realy good point. i think you should look in to your claim being reopened. they may or may not pay for it but its worth a shot. maybe your axle was tweaked a lil bit causing a misalignment some where.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
stroke_smoke said:
you got a realy good point. i think you should look in to your claim being reopened. they may or may not pay for it but its worth a shot. maybe your axle was tweaked a lil bit causing a misalignment some where.

The real question is: If they claim they were able to align it after the work they did...does that mean that the upper and lower ball joints were tight/snug because if they were loose a proper alignment would not have been possible? :dunno :dunno :dunno

BTW, nice avatar :D

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Good luck re-opening a claim that is alreay closed.

If the body shop was negligent in not checking the ball joints, I believe I have the right for recourse.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have to have the body shop admit that they didn't check the ball joints. Generally you'll have problems alligning the truck if the balljoints are bad or are going bad. Contact the body shop and the insurance company and see what they say about it.

The realistic service life of the non serviceable balljoints is roughly 100k anyway so you realistically though it's some more $$ you didn't plan on spending. When they get replaced this time make sure you get a serviceable ball joint which will last you beyond 100k if you keep them serviced.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
BJS said:
You'll have to have the body shop admit that they didn't check the ball joints. Generally you'll have problems alligning the truck if the balljoints are bad or are going bad. Contact the body shop and the insurance company and see what they say about it.

The realistic service life of the non serviceable balljoints is roughly 100k anyway so you realistically though it's some more $$ you didn't plan on spending. When they get replaced this time make sure you get a serviceable ball joint which will last you beyond 100k if you keep them serviced.

I spoke to my insurance claims adjuster who said that she would reopen the claim. She will let the body shop know that I'm to be made whole on the reopened claim. On Monday I'll have them check out the ball joints and poorly worn new tires. :thumbs

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh w/ poorly worn tires which more than likely were replaced @ the same time as the work was done I'm guessing that they prob tried to cut corners and didn't have the truck alligned.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
BJS said:
Ahh w/ poorly worn tires which more than likely were replaced @ the same time as the work was done I'm guessing that they prob tried to cut corners and didn't have the truck aligned.

Yup, I got new tires after their repair work at a different shop AND I HAVE THE RECEIPT! Showing him the increased wear on the inside of all four tires will prove that the alignment they ( they, is the garage next door who did the suspension repairs) gave didn't hold. Since I've had my tires rotated, showing him the bad wear on the rear tires will verify that it had been bad for a while. I'm also gonna borrow a tread depth gauge to show the body shop the bad wear patterns in millimeters (remember, this is a body shop not a repair or tire facility).

Since I got a new set of front leaf springs from this accident I'm sure they aligned it. The suspension repairs were done at a repair shop next door. The fellow who sold me the tires said that it is possible to align my truck with bad ball joints. How? I haven't a clue... :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14