Ball joint reinstall problem

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allright, I'm stuck. After replacing all the ball joints I can't get the lower's to tighten up. The stud keeps spinning when I try to tighten the nut. What's the secret?! It has a slot in the top but there's no way to get a flat blade screwdriver in it straight enough to stop the spinning. None of the genius types on Youtube are a help either. They all just say "...then you put it back together...", like it's magic or something!
I'm at my wits end!! Any ideas?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Push the pin into the hole. It is tapered and will lock into the hole (receiver) and stop spinning. Use a jack to get enough tension on the ball joint pin. Good luck, these can be maddening - I know.

Dave :)

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks DaveBen. I gave up on replacing the U-joints and can't figure out what to ask for to get the seal on the axle shaft. So then I decide to end on a positive and put stuff together then I ran into the old spinning stud problem! Not a good day in the shop at all! Only thing accomplished was depleting the Budlight stock!

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it in the morning.

JSchuricht

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just got done fighting the same issue on the D60 I am rebuilding for my 95. After breaking a flat impact screwdriver socket trying to hold the lower and sitting my 00 ontop of the axle for weight, I just used a 1/2 impact with a swivle. So much for torquing them but atleast their tight.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the first one worked perfect. Then fought the driver side for about half an hour. The ball joint stud and the receiving part have to be clean and dry! Ended up using some carb/brake cleaner to degrease it and clean both side and it finally worked.

So glad to have this forum, it has helped me a ton!

Anyone know the importance of the "dust seal" looking seal that mounts to the drive axle stub? It seems like it's a stamped inpart of the axle shaft. Both of mine are shot and on one side, there's a plastic washer that's missing from the driver side. Any part numbers would help too if it's something to be replaced.

Thanks for the help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58