Ball Joint Torque Specs

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am relacing the Ball Joints on my truck for the second time in a month, don't ask just make sure when it comes time to get the best ones you can find. Anyway I was going by the article in the FTE Forum and it said to torque the top joints to 70ft lbs and the bottoms to 150ft lbs, which was for a 1999 350 4x4. My question is the torque specs the same for my '04 or are they different? Also what was the torque for the tie-rod ends?

Thanks
Scott

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this for a 99 model: Hate to say where.

Position wheel knuckle onto axle housing.
Install nut onto lower ball joint. Do not tighten at this time.
Install the insert and castellated nut onto the upper ball joint. Do not tighten at this time.
Tighten the lower ball joint retaining nut to 101 lb-ft. On thing to remember here: more than likely the ball joint is going to spin as you try to tighten the lower ball joint retaining nut. You will have to apply pressure to the lower ball joint in order to get the nut going and get the ball joint snug before you can torque it down. I used the clamp that came in the ball joint kit to apply pressure while I got the nut going with a crescent wrench through the knuckle opening. You can also use light upward pressure from a floor jack to prevent the ball joints from spinning.
Tighten the upper ball joint nut to 101 lb-ft. Install cotter pin.
Install tie rod end onto knuckle.
Tighten the tie rod castellated nut to 52 lb-ft.
Install cotter pin into tie rod nut.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58