Ball joints and wheel bearings

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had been having some noises when I turn to the left at speed and every know and then when I came to a stop. So I jacked the truck up to check things out and looks like I'm gonna need passenger side ball joints and driver side wheel bearings. The bearings have a little play in them. Could just be a loose nut but I'm gonna have the bearings on hand anyway. Is there any tips or beware of's before I tackle this job? Is this basicly like the older models?

Last edited:

RACE 66

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Time for new "joints"

You gotta bite the bullet. I just went through this on my 01' F-350.
New upper,lower ball joints at 130,000. Make sure you get Moog brand joints. I understand Dana may not be as good of product. I tried performing the job myself, studied everything that I could, rented the "joint" separator kit, etc. Got really hung up on removing. Had to have it towed to my friendly shop. I provided the parts, still saved alot though. Drives really nice after front end alignment, tracks really well and no more "clunking" when you apply the brakes with weight shifting towards front. Plus it is "safe" now.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
the think that really blows about the 4wd models, is the Wear-Ever seals they use on the hubs.. might as well get them to, because they'll probably get KO'd removing the axle..

once you have the axle out of the way, it's no different than a 2wd..

oh yeah, you're gonna poop your pants when you find out how much that bearing hub is..
and GET A TIMKEN.
stay WAY away from the half-brand "Made in China" stuff...

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont have to buy the whole bearing hub assembly do you? Just the needle bearings?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
You dont have to buy the whole bearing hub assembly do you? Just the needle bearings?

Nope..............whole hub assy. They are non serviceable.......yes this has been throughly researched. 300-400 for them.

Hub replacement WIKI

Ball joints were a big job...............I was very fortunate that I had experienced help.

Ball Joints

Tbar

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn wish I'd seen that before I had to go here and there to round everything up! I'll know better next.That kit listed a seal I had forgotten about so looks like its back to ford! I dont think 76k is alot of miles on it. If the needle bearings are the problem, I already have them to be ready. But I only have a bearing problem on the passenger side anyway (I HOPE)

Last edited:

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got everything but the new cyroed powerslots installed today. The rotors are on backorder. Found out the main reason my ESOF hubs werent working. The thrust washer with the groves in it was turned backwards and the yellow oring...MIA! Apparently the PO didnt know what they were doing!!! Everything went smoothly except the d@mn big seal that goes over the axle inside the knuckle. Spent about a half hour looking for something to drive that dang thing in. Had a good buddy help me out. The roar I was hearing is now gone. I also went ahead and lubed up the hubs. So I'm on the road again. The truck has been setting for a week. Been driving other vehicles in the driveway and it SUCKS!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14