Ball Joints at 67k miles?????

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This common on SDs? Yes, I tow about 9k lbs and I do run this truck on gravel roads.

Plus I have a vi bration at 43 mph and at 77 mph. I've had the tires rotated and balanced several times. I'm wondering if the ball joints are the reason that I have the vibration or the result?

I've had the vibration for quite a while, so maybe so. Like 10k miles.

Plus my brakes shimmy when I apply them.

I'm wondering how much is related or if I have something else besides ball joints going on.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SD's love to eat their ball joints and tie rod ends. You're actuall tires could be a problem too, sometimes balancing does nothing for them. And as for the brakes you're rotors are probably warped so you should get them shaved down a bit to take out the warp. Then change your front end parts and see if that helps your shimmying.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
aaahh, yeah i'd say it is common. few guys have had them replace. i included at just over factory warrenty (37K). they put in greasable only on bottom, stupid if u ask me, should have done both. i would also beg to differ on the symptom description, my ball joints banged/clanged going over bumps, also is my stabilizer bushing/links too. as for a vibration description IF you are sure it is not a balance issue then i would say it is something else (a good call as for the tire just being bad - always forget that one) . and as u say, brakes shimmy when applied. might want to get that checked out too. good luck

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to hear something different, but I was thinking it was time for a brake job, too. Well, here's the $1,200 that I would have liked to spend on a tuner chip.

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
Get your truck in tip top shape THEN add the performance mods :D

Are ALL of your ball joints bad? You may only need to repair ONE side! Get what you need and then do the brakes.

Where do you live? If you're closeby I could swing by and we could knock em out in less then a day...

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
had to have mine replaced too on the 99, only had 45K on it then, and the rotors turned a couple of times too

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
ooops!! did i forget to mention my brakes took a dump at 28k.

i can pretty much say the whole front end has been replaced: brakes, rotors, drag link, both upper/lower ball joints, stabilizer links/bushings (in the process).

i don't understand why things are so crappy!?!?

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
Poly bushings I don't know about...

As for why these things are crappy up front is because the ball joints AREN'T nearly big enough for a truck this heavy, that's DANA'S problem - not FORD's. Dodge has the same problem. As for the R&R of the wheelbearings, ball joints, seal removal, and axle removal I can talk you through it all, pm me for my phone # and I can help ya.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58