Ball joints done, now what?

Scot

;()
Reaction score
After doing ball joints last week my truck is dangerously sloppy in the front end. I gained at least an inch of free play in the steering wheel & when I hot the slightest uneven pavement it wants to leave the road. Is this a case where everything was wearing at the same rate and I threw off the balance by adding new parts??? :eek::confused:

Any suggestions? 99K on the truck now. Steering stabilizer is original, shocks have about 50K, sway arm bushings & drop links are all original too.

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Sounds like a worn steering shaft joint going from the wheel to the box or something didnt get torqued down all the way when you put it back together. I would start with rechecking every nut on the steering components and inspect the steering shaft going to the steering box for excesive play it doesnt have to be much in the shaft joints to give you an inch of play at the wheel.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Did you do the ball joints on the knuckle assembly?? Jack up your truck and try to shake the tires in and out from the top and bottom. Play = new ball joints. Set the toe in at 1/16" to 1/8" toe-in.

Dave

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
Are you sure it cant be the tires? Usually the tires wear uneven when the balljoints go bad, now that they are trying to wear evenly you only have contact patches on the inside or outside of the tire, bumps and uneven road would make it worse. Smaller contact patches will make it feel sloppy and lighter to steer. Put the tire against a curb somewhere and have someone turn the wheel while you watch.

Scot

;()
Reaction score
what I meant was ball joints complete or replaced.... NOT done as in toasted.

Yes on the knuckle. They are all done and new brakes too. I only had 1 bad one but all that work to replace 1 is just stupid so all are new. Had the alignment checked and it was fine. Next time I'm motivated I'll change the steering damper and have Monroe warranty my shocks.

Only 20K on the tires, regular rotations and they look good.

It appears to be a centering issue which I assume is being caused by joints that were produced tight at the factory. I've read posts on other sites saying this has been an issue with Moog lately. Other posters have said they had the same issue with Moog and the tightness slowly went away.

There are instructions floating around about how to adjust the steering box back lash or something. But the instructions show a gear box that my truck doesn't have. No big bolt coming out the bottom of the box so no easy adjustment- if any. Next time I'm in the dealer I'll have them look at it, but for now it appears to be slowly getting better (or maybe I'm just adapting to it :dunno)

FYI for anyone with the 05+ 4X4 coil spring front end F350. The seals and yellow o-ring are bigger now. If you did the job yourself on your 04 or earlier truck don't expect the same parts. & don't expect all shops to be able to press the seals on for you. Most are not equipped for the size. They did make some helpful changes. 1. No more multiple parts in the hub. The only part inside the hub is a snap ring. The thrust washers are gone. 2. there is a plastic ring on the inside of the axle shafts to stop the shaft from dragging through the rust/ axle grime on it's way to the diff.

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Drove about 2000 miles since my last post. The front end is getting back to normal. So it looks like the joints were just manufactured too tight at the plant. I think after a new steering damper I'll be good as new!

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. I'm doing my ball joints this week!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14