Ball joints, grease zerks

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed some time ago that my driver side upper ball joint grease zerk had 'gone missing'. These were replacements (Moogs) at about 90k and this one didn't survive 4wd last winter I guess.

Long story short, the zerk was busted off, the boy with the drill done wrong, and there is now a new upper ball joint. I elected to cap off both uppers and screw in the zerk when time to grease.

I've seen some posts before, and recall talk of grinding etc... but am curious what you all do about this. Is there a special dandy small 90 degree zerk that doesn't get busted off? Also, how often should I grease them anyhow?

Thanks!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
general rule of thumb is to grease them when you change the oil a shot or two in each one will keep them happy

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I got to thinkin...
check your axles for play up & down in the hub.
Did you see Rammertide's front end video last week?
something makes me think that your axles wobble and it took out the zerk fitting

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 90s on mine. There is a little "bubble" or rounded area at the 90. Veeerry carefully ground this bubble flat..like only a couple secs on the grinder each; they're brass.

The zerks lasted about 80,000 till I trashed the spindle bearings, which gave me the slop in the half shafts deal.

New ones have gone 10,000 without a problem.

Good luck.

Mike

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Moog claims that they're ball joints don't even need greased, the only reason they have grease zerks in them, is because the public feels better with a zerk to grease. I cap off my uppers with the plug they come with, after i grease them once when installing. So far i've never had one go bad twice. JMO

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigrigr, I've heard that too, but just cant do it. Would like to not be giving my Dad another reason to be rollin over in his grave every so often....LOL

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58