Help Needed Ball Joints on 2WD Excursion (replacement)

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so I have my stats below on my truck 2000 X 2WD. Over a year ago, i got an alignment at one of my favorite truck shops. They told me that the ball joints were going and that soon they would need to be replaced. Well, I am finally hearing a popping sound especially when I launch the truck from a stop and let off the gas right away. Besides that, I seen what happened to my GF's S10 when the ball joints went when she was driving, I don't want that to happen to me when I'm doing 90!

Anyways, with all of that being said. I started doing my research and what better place to go to that SDD.com. Ok, so I found out to get MOOG joints. Ok all fine and dandy! However, I can't find anyone on here that has replaced their ball joints on a 2WD Ford. From what I am reading it seems like it could possibly be a pain in the ass. Then again everything I am reading is about 4WD vehicles. I don't have the ball joint press tool, I have many other tools and I am very mechanically inclined. I usually do all of my work. Infact, I built (put together) my race motor in my Nova. I didn't do the machine work but I put it together from the pan up to the top of the carburetor.

What is everyone's take on this I'm looking at $600-$1000 at the shop. Or about $150 in ball joints and maybe 50 bucks for the ball joint removal tool? What do you think I should do? I have a nice shop I can do the work in and the X can sit there all weekend if it needs to plus I have a company truck I drive to work.

HELP!!!:dunno

Last edited:

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I just ordered the parts. Now where do I find the proper Ball Joint press tool? I see people make them out there. Infact you can get them off ebay for like 80 bucks.

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know how much they cost to rent? Plus I dont have an O'Reillys by me. I have Advanced and Auto Zone and Napa. I'll have to call tomorrow.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Almost any tool rental will have a ball joint press. They cost about $150 as I recall. I bought mine on eBay for less than 50 bucks. They are around. Budget a day to do the ball joints. Good Luck.

Dave

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost any tool rental will have a ball joint press. They cost about $150 as I recall. I bought mine on eBay for less than 50 bucks. They are around. Budget a day to do the ball joints. Good Luck.

Dave

Do you know the exact size I will need to get it done to make sure the right coupler size comes with the kit. I'll buy it if I have to. I dont know if there is a different in sizes between the 4x4 and the 2wd. I imagine there is.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
there is not a whole lot of difference between but they are large and a pita so plan a day and do 1 side at a time that way if you run out of time your truck isn't down

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what kit to buy and what size I need to do these ball joints? Product brand and part numbers are helpful. My MOOG ball joinst as well as radius arm bushings are ordered along with a Haynes Manual for my truck. Just need the right tools!

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
there is a difference between the 4wd 2wd ball joints so make sure you compare with what you have before tear down I would take the joints to autoparts and make sure that tools will fit them

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
In general most ball joint tools that I have seen/used are made for cars and light trucks. Don't get a cheap (Chinese) ball joint tool!! I got mine on eBay for about 50 bucks. It looks like a big C-clamp with several rings and pressing inserts.

Dave

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl