Banks Six Gun stacked with Powerpack- Advice?

CamasStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum so please excuse me if this has been asked before. I have a 2000 Excusion with a 7.3L. I bought the truck used and it had the complete Banks PowerPack including big intercooler, exhaust, gauges, etc. installed when the truck was brand new. I realize there are confilicting opinions about Banks products, but in the two years I have had this truck it has been great.
The problem that I am having now is what I have been told is "Turbo Cavitation". When towing a very heavy trailer ~10,000 running up a grade at roughly 14-20lbs boost it sounds as if it is bleeding boost, or that the wastegate is rapidly opening and closing. It stull pulls okay but the sounds coming out of the turbo are terrible. My mechanic tells me it sounds like "cavitation". It does not do it unloaded so he has been unable to duplicate. According to him and Banks the truck does not have the upgraded compressor wheel as this change was made after the kit was installed on this truck.

I was also interested in more power and fixing this problem.My mechanic has suggested the following changes to the truck:

1. Installing a High Tech Turbo http://www.htturbo.com/ford.htm

2. Stacking a six gun tuner on top of the existing Powerpack and OttoMind chip.

3. I was also going to install the Banks Exhaust Brake.

What I am looking for some insight from any of you experts is:

1. Does anyone have the Powerpack/Six Gun combo? Dyno results?

2. Anyone use the High Tech turbo? Impressions?

3. Anyone guess what kind of HP/Torque for the combo of Powerpack, Six Gun and High Tech Turbo?

Any better ideas for the cavitation problem?

Thank you

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
I just did this on my 00 X. They did install the upgraded smaller wheel in the turbo for faster spoolup and Ottomind. Works great! Banks said the exhaust brake would not fit so I couldn't do it and I didn't check with other manufactures yet, but then I don't tow anything more than 4K. Call banks direct and talk to the tech department. Or ask for Cliff in the install dept. He's the assistant or may even be the Manager of that dept now. Great guy and will be able to answer any ?'s. I'm also looking to put the SixGun on top of the powerpack, mainly to smoke the tires. Welcome to the site, these guys are a life saver and before you know it with all the excellently written articles and help they provide they'll have you spending $$ like no tommorrow! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58