Question Banks Six-Gun with speedloader

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Bank's six gun with the speedloader for my truck. I would normally not really be into messing with an already picky engine, the 6.0, but I happened across a guy that had one freshly re-flashed from banks, and he only wanted $200 for it. Well I couldn't resist and I put it in last weekend. I am very satisfied with it, but I would like to get some of your opinions. First of all, for those familiar with the system, the speedloader is wired between the selector switch and the tuner. Does the speedloader add any programming? or is it just telling the module that you spent the extra 100 bucks so you can "unlock" the extra horsepower? I like the fact that the tuner has an integrated egt probe to monitor temps as well as many safety features to protect the engine, and I like the banks name brand, but has anyone heard of problems with these things? My biggest worry is the transmission. In the banks manual they have a specific sequence of acceleration to adapt your transmission to the higher power output, one of those "or else" deals. It takes about half an hour to get from level one to level 6, and I went through it, but it leads me to believe that there has been tranny problems associated with the tuner. Can the 5 speed torqshift really handle the 440hp and 776ft/lbs they claim this tuner can produce? Can I drive this thing in 6 all day? or is it just for fun once in a while? what level should I drive daily on? Banks has none of this info on their website or in the owner's manual. Sorry for the long post, and I hope you guys have some insight for me. Thanks
Krist

Fine69

Reaction score
You won't find many people on this site that like Banks products. They have proven to be overpriced and underachieving. Most people here use SCT's with custom tunes. There have been multiple post's about Banks tuners popping headgaskets, frying trans, and not the best customer service.:sorry

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeh agreed. Should have put them two benjamins with two more and bought an SCT with custom tune. You wont find much support or followers on here for much of anything banks.

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No first hand experience, but about five million people on here and FTE all with first hand experience is enough for me to steer clear.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a banks six gun with speedloader on my truck for about 3 years. I also had the Banks pyro and boost gauge to go along with it. I liked the system and never had a problem with it. That being said I would agree that the SCT is the better system. I got a tremendous deal on mine and actually sold it for more than I paid for it.
I usually ran mine in level 2, but have heard of other guys running it 6 all the time. I removed it because I had visions of head gaskets blowing and my truck is to important to me to risk that.
The banks had a ton of power when it was set to 6 and the fuel economy did get a little bit better when I ran it in 2 all the time.
Hope this helps you

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply kingkevindavid... so you got bettter mileage too... on my dash it reads about 15% better or so. 20 mpg at 60mph at 0 degrees. I was just wondering if you ever checked it yourself... miles/gallons? Since the banks "piggybacks" on the factory ecu, could it be adding fuel without it being read and displayed by the ecu to the dash? I havent ran a full tank yet, so I have not checked it myself. Also, explain to me the sct if you will. Thanks
Krist

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is a XLT so I don't have the overhead console. I have always checked mine manually. My mileage did vary because I liked to put it on 6 when I had a ricer next to me being obnoxious, it was fun to smoke them. I would say on average if I didn't hammer it I picked up 2 - 3 MPG's

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had mine about a year and so far so good, I run mine on 5, except for towing then on 2 or less.
The tech I talked to said if I wanted more milage to run on level 6 and baby it, and only tow on 2 or less, I like 5 the best.
The only thing I notice is when I really get on it then letf off the fuel it hisses like pressure built up, dont know if this is a problem or not, but no antifreeze leak or any other problems yet.:watchout:evil.
I do run it hard at least once a week. Right now I am getting around 17.8 MPG hand calculated.

Last edited:

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tech I talked to said if I wanted more milage to run on level 6 and baby it,

I tried this technique, didn't work for me. putting it on level 6 and babying it was like putting an ice cold beer in front of me then telling me not to drink it, yeah right! I think I was able to make it through 1 tank on 6 without getting on it that much and I did see an increase in mileage.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg