Basic SDD/PSD WVO Setups

dpantazis

Reaction score
Holy Oil Prices!

On the way in to work, Diesel is at $3.29! I had to look at the sign twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Time to vegify the truck.

Ultimatley, I want to do a regulated return type veggiestroke type system, but for now, I want to do a REALLY BASIC conversion to get going and then add/modify along the way.

Anyone seen simple, reasonable conversions? I have the Tickel book and have read it thouroughly. I have looked at the usual places of links, but its either OBS or veggiestroke system. Nothing for a simple conversion on a SDD.

Are there any hang ups or tricks to doing a SDD using the factory fuel pump and stock FPR?

Dennis

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
You can do a simple, altho long purge time conversion with some HIH (Hose In Hose) fuel line and add a heating coil to one of your tanks. Or use a separate heated tank (probably easier) and an additional 6 port valve.

Main concern with simple designs is it takes a long time (up to 15 minutes) to flush a "common" filter from veggie to diesel. Also during this time some veggie will return to the Diesel tank. The stock pump may also struggle a bit moving the heavier oil.

Many have done just such a simple conversion, and it works very well for long trips where purging is not an issue. Expect shorter filter life, even with very clean filtered oil.

Another option is make .50 to $1 Biodiesel, no truck conversion required. A basic appleseed reactor can be built for $200-500.

Ideally secure an oil source before spending $$$. Most areas it's easy to get oil but some have had difficulty.

Last edited:

Police Package

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was looking into the Veggiestroke for myself. It appears to fit all of my needs. The most important being auto purge. Any ideas? Thoughts on the Veggiestroke itself? I'd like to complete my research before committing to anything. Thanks for the help, all.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3.29 for diesel, really? And you're complaining. Diesel is $4.61 at the cheapest around here.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
the challenge is harvesting WVO.
:coffee
i ran into severe lack of wvo around here as sysco had all the restaurant's locked up with a return your used oil program for fresh veggie oil at a discount

that was two years ago as well, but the wvo is scarce, if they use sysco or another supplier

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:coffee
i ran into severe lack of wvo around here as sysco had all the restaurant's locked up with a return your used oil program for fresh veggie oil at a discount

that was two years ago as well, but the wvo is scarce, if they use sysco or another supplier

Yep, you bring up a good point, as I have been running into the lack of veggie oil at the resturants up in Mass. Big corporate grease renderer got the veggie oil all locked up.

So, I been trying to minimized the use of the PSD as much as possible due to cost of diesel @ @4.38/ gal and climbing. I use the car as much as possible. The truck gets takened out 2x/ month or is used for actual hauling and towing. I do miss driving it on a daily basis, but damn, I don't miss the sky high fuel bills.

Butch Cassidy

Police Package

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58