Batteries, alternator,, or worse?

angus

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I went out this morning to move my 05 sd to the garage, and it turned over a couple times, and clicked,, like a dead battery. A little confused about it I jumped it and it fired right up, and ran fine, I pulled it around, and left it running for a little bit, but noticed that the radio wont come on. So I checked the fuse, and its fine,, then I noticed the ABS light come on,, so I tried other electricals,, the windows started coming down then stopped,, I revved the motor some to bring up the rpms and the ABS went off and the windows started to work fine again, but slow, still no radio,, everything else I checked is working. I shut it off and tried to start it again, and the lights on the dash come on then started flickering and clicking??? The glow plug light was flickering. So I quit on it.. I just installed a lift yesterday, but ran into no trouble and didnt do any welding on anything,, could it be something with that? Also, for a few weeks, when I shut it off and get out, it beeps like the keys are still in the ignition, or something is still on??? Does any of this make sense? The batteries look new, but I dont know when they were replaced, I havent had the truck very long. Should I look into batteries, or the alternator, or is something fried?? Someone help me out here,, Im lost .. Thanks

mojoman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
give your alternator housing a rap with a scewdriver handle...it siounds like your alt needs a rebuild...rapping the housing will get the brushes to contact with the armature...I've gotten 3 months more use from the alt doin' this in the past...best bet tho is if it comes back after the rap get another alt for when your old one finally gives up...hth

mojo

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right off the top ? I'd say corroded battery connections.. Take them loose, clean'm up (and the posts) with a wire brush type battery connection tool. Or better yet.. dunk the clamp ends in Coke a Cola. Then, Load Test the batts.. independently.. if one is weak ? Replace BOTH. Check the cables out too.

A "First things First" .03 worth ?

Joe

Last edited:

angus

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Oh, and one more thing,, I thought I coule hear a faint squeaking while it was idling,, and had me wondering if the alternator was making the sound.. What about the radio? Is it just not making enough charge to run everything?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and one more thing,, I thought I coule hear a faint squeaking while it was idling,, and had me wondering if the alternator was making the sound.. What about the radio? Is it just not making enough charge to run everything?

Without Good, Clean, Strong Voltage & Amps.. these things DO and Don't Do alot of Strange things. That squeak could be.. the (cold) Serpentine belt. Check the Battery things first.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Belt squeak from trying to charge your dead batteries. First things first. Check out your batteries. This is the time of year for them to go dead. As Big Joe said get them load tested. Then go to the alternator if that batteries are OK.

Dave

angus

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Had em tested today,, at autozone(only place open) and the counter boy hooked it up and said the batteries are low charge?? and the alternator is producing 11.somthing volts and 63. something amps??? I guess thats the counter boy way of saying the alternator is bad?? Sound right to you guys?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how he tested it. If he tested by simply (sounds like) connecting to the Battery post(s).... if either battery is weak... the Alt could show low input volts.. due battery(s) condition ? = not a good test/check.

EACH battery should be disconnected and load tested.. by it's self, not connected in any way, to the truck.. If [either] battery shows a weak charge state... replace BOTH.

Then check the Alternator out-put voltage. Should be 14, volts then stabilize at 14.5+ volts.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg