Batteries..........

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I think my batteries on their last legs. This morning I tested the cold voltage and it was at an even 12.0v........ambient temp was in the low 30's.

I hit the glow plugs and it dropped to 10.5v........which might be normal.

When I hit the starter it turned over and busted off........but reluctantly. It has been slowing down over the last few weeks.

These bats are only two years old on an 8yr warranty........should I wait for them to die before trying to get warranty or will they fail the load test now?

I am going on a hunting trip soon and will be waaaaay off the beaten path and don't want to get stranded.

Tbar

ChrisMartinTX

97 F-250
Reaction score
they will likely fail... i'd just get new ones so i don't have to worry. just out of curiosity... what kind of batteries are they?

on edit:
more reasons, low voltage can fry things & make starters very unhappy

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you have already answered your own question. Get them replaced before you go off to hells half acer. I believe they will not pass a full load test. You might look into a battery desulphator. You clip this on one of the batteries and it will keep your batteries going way past their normal lifetime. A guy named Chubbydutchman sells them on eBay. Do a search for the seller. I am still running the stock Motorcraft batteries in my '04 truck. They seem to be good as new.

Dave

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I think you have already answered your own question. Get them replaced before you go off to hells half acer. I believe they will not pass a full load test. You might look into a battery desulphator. You clip this on one of the batteries and it will keep your batteries going way past their normal lifetime. A guy named Chubbydutchman sells them on eBay. Do a search for the seller. I am still running the stock Motorcraft batteries in my '04 truck. They seem to be good as new.

Dave

My battery charger/maintainer desulphates.

Hummm..........maybe I should give that a try.

Tbar

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
our digital tester at work will tell you to charge and retest if the battery is discharged. charge it up and have them tested, i bet they will fail even after charging.

OR.....let them discharge so the freeze protection is low, and let them freeze and bend plates :D definatly will fail after that!

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have one of these? It's excellent for knowing what your electrical system is doing at all times it's plugged. I have one like this except it displays voltage to the second decimal place.

Al

dpantazis

Reaction score
Tbar- fix them before you go. There is enough stress on a hunting trip. I got bit by the same thing, luckily near enough to get batteries. Look at what happened to mike with his tire ordeal.

did you check your spare? :stir

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58