Batteries

Matt24601

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 2005 F-350 is my first diesel in a long line of Jeeps. One thing that struck me was the dual batteries in the engine bay. Are both batteries used in every day driving, or is one set-up as an auxilary? Which battery would you run your winch to? What about upgrades, anything special to consider?

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both batteries are required to start the truck. The starter pull about 3 times the amperage of a gas engine starter. You can run your winch battery leads to either battery, depending on what ever is easier to get to.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What you really have is one BIG battery, in two places. These batteries are run in parallel so there is no primary or secondary battery. You check them individually and if one is dieing, you replace BOTH at the same time. If not, you will quickly kill the new battery.

Dave

Matt24601

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
How do you guys handle auxilary or back-up battery setups? When using off-road lights, winches, etc. I had an "accessory" battery that I had isolated from the main starting battery so that I would never have a dead engine after an electrical load. My last Jeep had a switch not unlike this one that allowed you to either run in "normal", off of the auxilary, or both batteries together. With all of the service oriented Superdutys out there there must be some sort of solution. Anybody know of any kits or anything that people have used?

Last edited:

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes about 1000 cranking amps to start a 6.0

Reaction score
I ran welding lead for my winch set up with quick connects front and rear. I mounted it on the passenger side because that doesn't have a box covering it. For the rear hook up i ran one lead all the way to the reciever hitch and grounded it on the rear bumper mounts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58