Battery Drainage?

patshea098

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok everyone, this is weird to me. Obviously something is draining my power from my batteries. If i forget to unplug my batteries after driving (like if the truck is going to sit for more than 5 hours) then the batteries get drained enough to where i cant start my truck.

How can i figure out what exactly is draining it? I kinda think its my amplifier because its old and pretty ****ty but im not sure at all.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would suspect your batteries. They quit holding a charge when they are at the end of their life. I would get them tested, INDIVIDUALLY, to see if you need new ones. Then you can start to look for other causes for the battery drain.

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, get them LOAD TESTED and not with just a volt meter.

Dave :)

And if one Battery checks Bad, or Weak ? Replace them BOTH.

1 good New batt + 1 good (?) Old batt = Still possible No starts & all kinds of electrical/electronic Gremlins... Soon to come.

Joe

Last edited:

patshea098

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i should add that these batteries are no less then 2 months ago....this is the third pair of batteries ive had beacuse of this problem....so it IS NOT the batteries

now more suggestions :) haha

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How 'bout the Alternater. Bad diod, bad regulator (internal).. or that AMP. Starter, Starter solinoid, Batt Cables & clamps all good ? Clean ?

What kinda Batts ? What Group, amps, CCamps. Rccamps ??

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
What about the AIH? My AIH solenoid stuck "On" and would run the AIH heater element causing my batts to drain in about 10min or so. I just deleted the AIH and disconnected the solenoid. Fixed the prob. Could be the alt too.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
there was a really good write up on this drainage thing on here. You might have to do some hard searching, but it explained how to put the volt meter in line and start unplugging things and as soon as the volts stopped flowing that was your source for the problem. :coffee

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
Have you checked your battery cables and all the connections? Is the sheathing on the cables still in good shape?

patshea098

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have interstate megatrons.
alternator is fine because when i drive the batteries charge and will stay recharged as i drive constantly its only if the truck sits for like overnight do they drain

where is the AIH solenoid and disconnect? i Might try that....any way to tell if its stuck "on"?

and all connections are nice and clean!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58