Battery Vent Noise-Optimas

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
For those that have Optimas, ever heard a noise from the gray circles on top that I'm assuming are vents? The sound is almost like the sounds that come from a regular auto battery with the caps open, on a quick charger. The sound is only coming from the driver's side which is also the one that was bad on the originals I just replaced.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
For those that have Optimas, ever heard a noise from the gray circles on top that I'm assuming are vents? The sound is almost like the sounds that come from a regular auto battery with the caps open, on a quick charger. The sound is only coming from the driver's side which is also the one that was bad on the originals I just replaced.

I've never heard any noise from my optima. Budro

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
I've never heard any noise from my optima. Budro

The one's I've had in my F-bodies have never done this that I've noticed. But, I've never had my head two feet from them since they were in the trunk. I noticed it when I was bent over the fender checking the tightness of the intercooler boot.

This morning it is silent so it's only doing it after running I guess. :dunno I hope I don't have an electrical gremlin that's trying to eat this battery too.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
The one's I've had in my F-bodies have never done this that I've noticed. But, I've never had my head two feet from them since they were in the trunk.

same situation here with the trunk, but I've ran an optima in it since 1995 have still have same battery with no noise.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optima's are SEALED BATTERIES. There are no vents. THis is why you can mount them upside down.

You may have bigger issues.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Optima's are SEALED BATTERIES. There are no vents. THis is why you can mount them upside down.

You may have bigger issues.

Good to see you around again Daryl! :sweet

What should I do....take the truck up to Sears to let them listen to it? What are the little gray circles? It did it while the batteries were disconnected when I installed my new GPR a bit ago. But not this morning after sitting all night.:dunno

What kind of issues could we be talking here?

kenh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to some, the Optima has Resealable Vent Plugs.
Also, they do not take kindly to overcharging.

Last edited:

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:

Antonio, do you have the new "offset style" optima? I was just pokin around and found this:

optima_d31_ventyel_op.jpg

Detail of over-pressure vent on D31 series Optima batteries: Battery does not vent during normal operation, but remote venting tube can be attached as a safety, making the Optima D31A battery ideal for enclosed spaces

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
Antonio, do you have the new "offset style" optima? I was just pokin around and found this:

optima_d31_ventyel_op.jpg

Detail of over-pressure vent on D31 series Optima batteries: Battery does not vent during normal operation, but remote venting tube can be attached as a safety, making the Optima D31A battery ideal for enclosed spaces

:dunno I'll take a pic and post what I'm talking about.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
THIS PIC shows what I'm talking about. This morning after driving to get coffee and just long enough to get the oil temp around 170 degrees, the battery is silent. It was silent before startup too. :dunno

The only difference is the new GPR. :confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14