Battery Vent Noise-Optimas

kenh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the website, those are the vent plugs,
If charging voltage exceeds 16 Volts, they will vent.
It would be advisable to check alternator output/all batt. connections.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
kenh said:
According to the website, those are the vent plugs,
If charging voltage exceeds 16 Volts, they will vent.
It would be advisable to check alternator output/all batt. connections.

The cables look visibly good. I have 2 alternators, does each battery have it's own? How do I check the alt's output? I do have a good digital volt meter. I have to take my kids back for the week and it's a 250 mile roundtrip, hope this doesn't hurt the system running this way. :( Thanks!

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dual alt setup is a little different from the single. Both batteries are still in parallel, and get charged equally. However, it should only charge from ONE alternator until your electrical load exceeds the first alternators output, at which time the second alternator gets a signal from the compter to start supplying voltage.

I dont think its something your run of the mill parts store can check. This is more of a job for an OBD reader that can really get into the computer and look at more than just codes. Auto-X-ray, and Autoenginuity come to mind. Ford and possibly international would be the only other guys that can check the signal from the computer that might be kicking on the second alternator and over charging the bats.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
:sweet Thanks Daryl!

And ANOTHER reason for me to buy Autoinginuity! :rolleyes: I'm not going to the incompetent dealerships here. The search begins for a good shop tomorrow I guess.

I'm out the door, you guys have fun in chat tonight!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14