Bearing Noise

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a bit of help diagnosing another problem. This morning on the way to work, things started off great. While driving down the interstate, I start hearing a grumbling type sound (actually kind of sounded like a hole in exhaust or something)..

When I came to a stop at a light, the grinding was considerable. Turning to the right also makes it pronounced, while turning to the left seems to have little or no effect on it.

I think it is my right front wheel bearing. I haven't done anything to them since I got the truck 100K ago, and not sure how long it went before.

Is it logical that the bearings are going out? I'm assuming that if they are, I probably shouldn't drive it more than I have to, so that would take out a trip home (35 miles).

On autozone's site, they have the following components:

Outer cone
Outer cup
Inner

Also, I've read about seals, do I need those being 2wd?

Thanks, fellas...

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Feel the hub (2wd or 4wd) to see if one hub is hot compared to the other. They will run warm, but not hot.

Dave

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
Jack up the side that is making noise and see if there is play/movement by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire and pull up, down, out and in. You will be able to tell if there are bearing problems. If there is a problem, I would not drive on the interstate for 35miles. When mine went bad it happened very quickly. And you may wreck or have to buy additional expensive parts to repair it.

Good Luck

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I jacked it up and tried to wiggle it...does seem to be a bit of movement there. Not a lot, but some.

It is very hard to turn the wheel...It will stop on it's own within a half of a revolution. I guess the brake pads could be rubbing, but I don't think that's it.

So -- looks like new bearings are in order. Do I need what are the outer cups that I see on autozone's site?

Also -- anyone know what side the castle nut is? I don't have my tools with me, just need to make sure the wife brings the right stuff..

Oh yeah, is there a seal that needs to be replaced on 2wd models?

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
It has been a long time since I have looked at the 2wd front axle.

Hmmm, I can't remember the size, probably pretty big.

I would get all the bearings, then once you have them out, you can inspect them and see if you need to put new ones in or just repack the old ones.

Then you can just return the ones you don't need.

I have done that MANY times. I would rather have the parts on hand than have to stop and go get parts.

Yea, I think there is a seal also

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its why i carry a laser thermometer w/ me when im towing...i use
it to check the hub temps on all the trailer wheels...give me a bit of
an early warning if im about to be performing a bearing replacement ;)

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If my memory serves me right you should need the following parts to do both sides.

2 Inner bearing races
2 Outer bearing races
2 Inner bearings
2 Outer bearings
2 Seals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58