Beat a dead horse?

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know how controversial this topic is and I'm actually feeling a bit guilty to ask questions along these lines, but I'm not getting specific answers in my searches. Keep in mind that I am new to diesel power (of course already addicted:thumbs ), but pretty comfortable on all aspects of gassers. So... Here goes...

1- What is the typical interval (mileage) between oil & filter changes? This rig sees a mix of town & highway. Not much towing/hauling on a regular basis. When I do tow, it's a boat or a trailer with a couple ATVs/dirst bikes. Mostly light stuff for this SD truck. I've read many threads, but don't get an idea of a "standard" for typical useage.

2- I us syn-blend products (Valvoline DuraBlend to be specific) in my ga vehicles. I hear that pure syn oils and syn-blends are not good for PSDs due to some foaming or something like that. Is it safer to stick ith dino only oils?

3- Is there a common practice of changing filters multiple times on a single oil change resuling in longer life of the oil?

Thanks for the education and my apologies for starting something that I know has been thoroughly discussed many times before. :thanks

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
VinceJE said:
1- What is the typical interval (mileage) between oil & filter changes? This rig sees a mix of town & highway. Not much towing/hauling on a regular basis. When I do tow, it's a boat or a trailer with a couple ATVs/dirst bikes. Mostly light stuff for this SD truck. I've read many threads, but don't get an idea of a "standard" for typical useage.
Start at 5,000 miles. Take an oil sample and send it to Blackstone Labs. They'll tell you what shape your oil is in after 5,000 miles, and even give you a recommendation as to changing it sooner or letting it go a bit longer. Without a bypass system, though, I'd stick to 5,000 max.

VinceJE said:
2- I us syn-blend products (Valvoline DuraBlend to be specific) in my ga vehicles. I hear that pure syn oils and syn-blends are not good for PSDs due to some foaming or something like that. Is it safer to stick ith dino only oils?
Myth. New synthetics do not foam. Lots, and I mean LOTS, of guys and gals around here are running synthetics. The synthetic oil bonds to the engine components better resulting in less wear, easier start ups, quieter operation, and possibly slightly higher fuel economy.

VinceJE said:
3- Is there a common practice of changing filters multiple times on a single oil change resuling in longer life of the oil?
You could do that, but I don't really see the point. Sounds like a money waster to me. :dunno

VinceJE said:
Thanks for the education and my apologies for starting something that I know has been thoroughly discussed many times before. :thanks

Don't mention it. :sweet

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
Myth. New synthetics do not foam. Lots, and I mean LOTS, of guys and gals around here are running synthetics. The synthetic oil bonds to the engine components better resulting in less wear, easier start ups, quieter operation, and possibly slightly higher fuel economy.

So I could stick to my Valvoline full syn or syn blend w/o any worries?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
VinceJE said:
So I could stick to my Valvoline full syn or syn blend w/o any worries?

Absolutely. I'm sure others will chime in here shortly, but I can tell you that I've been running full synthetic for roughly 25k (80k on truck now) and it's running great....got the oil analysis to show that the wear is excellent.

FWIW, there are a lot of diesel "old wives tales" from the good old days that are no longer true for the newer diesels. For example, there is no need to let an engine cool down for a few minutes after normal driving so the turbo can "cool." That's something the older diesels required so they wouldn't "coke." The new ones don't do that. This will tell you a bit more from someone way more competent than me.

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great. Thanks for the info.

Now about viscocity... Can I / Should I use the same 10w-30 for winter and 10w-40 for summer? Or is there a good reason to use something different?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
VinceJE said:

Now about viscocity... Can I / Should I use the same 10w-30 for winter and 10w-40 for summer? Or is there a good reason to use something different?

Well, since you asked....

Prior to switching to Amsoil, I used 15W40 in the summer (towing RV season) and 5W30 in the winter--exactly like the owners manual states.

Now I run Amsoil HDD 5W30 Synthetic year round, towing and not towing, and it works great. Many guys recommended doing it because this specific oil is very good and does not break down. It's been said that its viscosity is higher than the 15W40 after a few miles. I just installed a bypass filter, so now I'm adding the TBN analysis to my oil reports which will tell me how the viscosity is holding up so I can back up this last statement with ##'s.

I like running one oil year round because my brain would get wrapped around the axle changing oil weights at different times of the year, then throw in towing to the equation, etc etc. This is much simpler.

Reaction score
VinceJE said:

I agree with Bruce - and I run full syn year round - 5w30.

Ron

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bruce also, and I run 5W40 Syn oil year round. I have been running it for about 35,000 miles now and I love it. What got me to switch was the morning romps. My truck would romp a few times on the first start of the day. Syn cured that.

Dave

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man! What did we do before we had Internet forums. This is great info.

Based on what I'm getting here and some other threads, I'm thinking of switchng to the AmsOil products. There sems to be alot of consistency of high opinions on it.

btw- DaveBen - What do you mean by "romp"?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is the sound a truck makes when it starts up cold. It can go romp romp romp romp before it steadies the idle. Just about as fast as you can say romp four times. If you have to ask, you have never heard it.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14