Because I do not know question about PS Fluid?

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year when I was searching for problems ( F350 in Sig) with power steering unit (later replaced) someone commented that the PS fluid also is pumped thru the brake booster?
When I was having PS unit problems the entire PS fluid had metal fines in system. The PS unit was replaced but even after 4+ months of driving I still fine metal fines attached to magnet I have in PS reservoir.
The question is could I also have fines flowing thru the brake booster?

Thanks for any help

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year when I was searching for problems ( F350 in Sig) with power steering unit (later replaced) someone commented that the PS fluid also is pumped thru the brake booster?
When I was having PS unit problems the entire PS fluid had metal fines in system. The PS unit was replaced but even after 4+ months of driving I still fine metal fines attached to magnet I have in PS reservoir.
The question is could I also have fines flowing thru the brake booster?

Thanks for any help

Yes, those FINES would be flowing thru the booster too. But as long as your magnet is catching the fines..? Not to worry. As long as they are FINES, not Chips or Shavings. The magnet is doing its work. If the fines are like Muddy Dust (?) it's normal pump wear. (like the stuff you find when you flush & clean a Rear Dif., Normal wear)

JMO but bigger tires, wheels and changing suspension geometry [can] have an effect on speeding up Normal Wear too.. asking more from the OEM pump than it's design limits can deliver... in the long term.

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I will try to push Ford Tech to replace booster and fluid under warranty.

Thanks

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ford Tech replaced the PS unit and removed the reservoir and pumped a small amount to flush. But I attached a magnet to PS Dipstick to catch metal fines. Now 4+ month later still have a metal fine problem.

Thanks for the replies

Ken

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think I'd ***** and go back to them asking WTF? That metal is coming from someplace, and unless the amount your collecting is becoming less and less, you have another wear issue at hand. If what your collecting seems to be trending downward, you're probably okay, but all that means is whoever "flushed" it did a lousy job.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58