bed weight and traction

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I like my ideal better.
#1 Hook truck to fifthwheel travel trailer.
#2 Head said truck and travel trailer to South Texas.
#3 Come back home next spring.
#4 Sorry if your still working and not retired. LOL
Doug

Must be nice dang it!!! I would just fill my bed with snow or in my case load my atv with the snow plow on it just in case haha.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
400-500 pounds. I don't add weight anymore. There is plenty over the front axle. My dad had some man hole covers that worked great. I do carry a couple buckets of sand that I end up donating throughout the winter to those who need it. The sand usually works without having to dig out the tow strap.

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a need to cover areas on my property where grass will not grow due to too much shade. Problem is, I like to walk around the exterior of my own house (imagine that) picking up fallen limbs, etc. to keep the place looking nice. I also have one of those "mostly outside" kind of jobs, and I absolutely hate dealing with mud around the house.

My solution was to put down some slabs of rock you can buy by the pallet at lots of home stores like Atwoods or Home Depot.

So, I bought a pallet ($125) and placed it in the bed of my 2005 4x4 CC King Ranch, and woopee! I'm guessing the pallet weighed in at 1000 lbs., was wrapped in chicken wire to keep everything in place, and it never moved from where I placed it which was just over the rear axle, but more to the front, similar to where a 5th wheel hitch would be installed.

I never got stuck last February when we were dealing with the most severe winter (28" of snow in my back yard) we've seen in years.

When spring came, I unloaded the slabs in the areas that were mostly mud and solved the problem.

Last edited:

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use about 500-600 lbs of bagged rock salt for weight, it works and should I get stuck I can melt my way out.

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never put any weight in the truck. Ice is ice and there isn't any way getting around it with any amount of weight. Plus I don't want any more weight than I got out on the lake. Little on the nerve racking side.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58