Bell Plate Leak?

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So,

I took my truck into the local Dealer yesterday morning bright and early for a small oil leak that thought had already been fixed when the rear main was replaced. They gave me wheels to drive and my service advisor told me he'd call when he found something out.

So, at 4:30 I get a call from Todd (service advisor).He says that they will have my truck for the entire week because they are pulling the engine to change the Bell plate and all the seals. And, that pulling the engine meant pulling the cab, etc. :eek:

I then proceed to call my former service advisor and friend in Columbia, where I went to school to see what his thoughts are on the issue. He tried to calm me down and said that it's the techs that are more comfortable/experienced with these trucks that pull the cabs like had just happened to mine.

My point is, I'm still nervous. I went to the dealer to see the truck and it's a pretty scary sight with the entire cab sitting 10' in the air and the motor halfway torn apart. I just don't know if I want it back after so much has been apart on it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in Advance,
Rusty

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Well, its probably a bed plate leak. Which is a web-like casting that makes up the main bearing journals. Instead of individual main bearing caps, its one big piece. The motor has to come out, go in an engine stand, and pull oil pan, etc. to repair the leak. The sight is a little shocking when you see it like that, but thats the way its done. As long as the techs know what their doing, it will be fine. And if your still in warrantee, they gave you a loaner, and the service advisor has been straight with you, its an inconvenience more than anything.

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's correct. Bed plate.

Thanks for the confidence. It was pretty nervewracking to walk in and see it all disassembled. I asked if they would look into the TSB on the HPOP while they had it apart and Todd said they would definitely take a look, so that's a good thing.

Thanks again,
Rusty

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I has the HPOP replaced in mine along with the bracket kit and its never run better. It'll be cool, just give them time. Ford will probably absorb most of it. If the bed plate is machined wrong, you could get a new engine out of the deal.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
have no fear. that is what a warranty is for... it wil be fine. from the sounds of it, it should be a warranty from what you've said about the fact that you thought it was fixed before...:eek:

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definitely a warranty claim. I'm just worried about when I get it back! :dunno

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got it back last night. They didn't put the HPOP connector bracket on it....

I hear something weird under the hood too at idle, but I suppose that could just be me. We'll see what happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl