Question Belt

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only advise to carefully inspect the belt as best you can visually looking at both sides for cracks/ wearing that comes with age. I changed the belt on my 2002 at 70,000 or so becuase I saw the belt was starting to slightly come apart from the inside. My upper tensioner bearing was wearing out in my opinion caused this type of wear on my belt. I also replaced the upper tensioner too. I guess there are other factors such as engine heat that also contribute to this type of wear. All in all I must say the belts are constructed pretty well because they hold up pretty well overall. I relaced the belt/ and upper tensioner with the oem from Ford, no more problems. The 2002's are good trucks. Some PDS owner have gone more than I did before replacing thier belt. Most would recommend carring a spare belt just in case.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
There isn't any set rule. Periodically inspect it, looking for cracks, frays and missing bits of the ribs. If it's looking bad, replace it.

Another thing to look at, is the belt tensioner. Over time they get worn and get a lot of slop or play. When that happens, it'll put uneven pressure on the surface of the belt causing it to fray and fail. If it fails, as it whips around it can take out radiator hoses, dipstick handles among other stuff. Don't ask me why I know about that. :innocent Also check the idler pulleys. They have bearings in there that get worn also.

FWIW: I kind of like Dayco belts. The ribs on the under side are sectioned, so they won't crack. I've had one for about two years and it still looks almost like new.

View attachment 10030

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I think I'd have to tell you to replace it when you see cracks in the ribs.

Check the tensioner, see if it wobbles on the pivot. If it does, replace the tensioner as well.

Yes, carry a spare belt (I carry my original one. The replacement got shredded by the tensioner because I F'd up and ignored it.)

danman

way up here
Reaction score
belts and hoses

Funny you should ask that. I just changed my original belt on my 02 7.3. The belt I put on is made by GoodYear, called a Gatorback and looks just like the one in Tailgunners post. Then I changed out the upper rad hose for the one that goes around the belt instead of through it. that way if the belt ever snaps on the road, you can change the belt without having to pull off the upper rad hose on the side of the road. By the way, my truck just turned 122000 KLMs.

scottmo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Funny you should ask that. I just changed my original belt on my 02 7.3. The belt I put on is made by GoodYear, called a Gatorback and looks just like the one in Tailgunners post. Then I changed out the upper rad hose for the one that goes around the belt instead of through it. that way if the belt ever snaps on the road, you can change the belt without having to pull off the upper rad hose on the side of the road. By the way, my truck just turned 122000 KLMs.
Do you happen to know the part numberfor the hose that goes over the belt???????

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to know the part numberfor the hose that goes over the belt???????

just tell them that you have the dual alternator option when you get the option after requesting the radiator hose.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. there is a part list on this forum, and it has that hose part #. I put it on (see #2) and I have to say there is VERY LIMITED clearance between it and the belt.

2. I replaced hoses (top & bottom), belt, tensioner(s) and idler a few miles ago, on my 02 with around 97k. I used a NAPA belt that is made by GATES and is green and is "long life" or some such thing. Bad bearings all around...I should have done this a year or 2 ago.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
1. there is a part list on this forum, and it has that hose part #. I put it on (see #2) and I have to say there is VERY LIMITED clearance between it and the belt.

2. I replaced hoses (top & bottom), belt, tensioner(s) and idler a few miles ago, on my 02 with around 97k. I used a NAPA belt that is made by GATES and is green and is "long life" or some such thing. Bad bearings all around...I should have done this a year or 2 ago.

band it to the timing cover with a zip tie or similar.. there is a groove in the neck of the casting just for that..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14