Bending Pinch Weld..!?

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to bend the pinch weld back on my 96 to fit a 3" downpipe. Anybody have any tips??? It is just hard to get to.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
the best method i found was to use a very long demolition bar and pry it up. i found that using a hydraulic ram (porta-power) i was just ripping the cab off of its mounts rather than bending the seam. also a hammer and a drift works if you can get a good angle on it. HAVE FUN! well worth the effort in the end.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
It helps if you reach up there with a sawzall and slot the pinch weld a little so that you are only bending back the part you need too. Use a couple of blocks and a large prybar after you get it slotted. Be sure to not go too deep with the sawzall or you will end up with a hole in your floorboard.

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It helps if you reach up there with a sawzall and slot the pinch weld a little so that you are only bending back the part you need too. Use a couple of blocks and a large prybar after you get it slotted. Be sure to not go too deep with the sawzall or you will end up with a hole in your floorboard.

Hmm...now that is a good idea! I will try that in the morning. Slotting the pinch weld will make it a lot easier to bend it out of the way.:thanks

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
I just used a porta-power to bend the seam without using a sawzall, and it worked very find and very easy, but if you couldnt get one, follow the other advices. :sweet

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or try a wooden 2x4 and lg hammer and use the wood to bend the pinch weld as you hammer it from the other end with the hammer.

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
Also a small screw jack(like the ones in new cars) and a block of wood. I agree using a saws all to cut it into smaller sections.

Brian1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I did mine about a month ago. I used a pneumatic cut off wheel to cut 2 slots in it and then bent it back using the duck bill porta power with a small piece of a 2x4 taped to 1 side of the duck bill jaws. It worked great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14