Bent valve?

custm2500

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 350 with a 6.0. It has 175,000 on it and yesterday it began to run like crap.

At idle it jumps and through the intake tube you can hear a quiet drumming. You can also hear a fairly loud ticking, that seem to come from inside the engine but you can't tell where. There is a good deal of smoke that comes from the exhaust at times and it is generally black.

You can drive the truck but it is down on low end power, but once you get moving, and it is building boost it does OK.

Also I removed the intake tube going to the turbo so see if the drumming was from the turbo or the left valve cover. Seems to be coming from the turbo and there was a fairly heavy amount of oil fume coming from the pcv. The tube has a light coating and a tiny puddle at the bottom. I don't know how much oil fumes should be there so maybe it is normal. The motor wasn't very warm at the point I was looking at this.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome custm2500. Double posting is not generally a good idea. This forum is not that big. The oil on the intake tube is OK and normal. I doubt you have a bent valve as all diesels are limited in the RPMs by the fuel system. You can floor it all day long and not blow up the engine. You need to get it scanned to find out what codes are there. Then you will have a better idea of what maybe wrong.

Dave

custm2500

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the double post. I know they aren't liked on any forum. I just didn't see the 911 section till after making the original. Was hoping it might get some more attention in the 911.

NJKen

Is a proud new daddy
Reaction score
You most likely have a bad injector. You should have someone do a cylinder contribution test on it to see what one is not pulling its weight. I had my local ford dealer do mine and check fuel pressure and fuel flow. I had 2 bad injectors on mine and you would have thought it needed an engine.
Ken

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg