best camper...I know...can of worms....

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
OK..so I am probably opening up a can of worms here, but the wife and I are looking to buy our first camper. I want a slide in, she wants a tow behind. I am willing to compromise and get a tow behind as long as it isn't to long. thinking about 18-20ft max.

Anybody got any suggestions? Here are a few requirements.

$10k or less
full bath
18-20 ft long and VERY max
self contained
AC and heat
I have heard some are aluminum framed and some are wood framed - I want aluminum

Thats about it......

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

85buggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
camper

We have a Holiday Rambler which has an Aluminum Frame its just shy of 20 yrs.old It's 30 ' and weighs 5500 lbs empty that is nice, it tows nice and has really held up after all these years. Its very stable on the road.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go to small your going to kick your self later. Go out and size things up. A good rule of thumb is if you think it's the right size, go a little bigger. Also theres alot of RV company that have closed up shop. So some parts are hard to find and warranty's are in question so do some digging on the company.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
staying under 20 ft is going to limit you on whats out there. probably a pop out (what I call them) they tend to be on the shorter side Cub in one name I think kodiak is another they have hard shell but beds fold down with fabric covers. Slide in are just too much trouble if you need to go ANYWHERE you have to pack up. Look in to rentals before you buy, go to a campground and ask questions.Ask what people like and dislike about what they own.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
staying under 20 ft is going to limit you on whats out there. probably a pop out (what I call them) they tend to be on the shorter side Cub in one name I think kodiak is another they have hard shell but beds fold down with fabric covers. Slide in are just too much trouble if you need to go ANYWHERE you have to pack up.>[ Look in to rentals before you buy, go to a campground and ask questions.Ask what people like and dislike about what they own.]<

>[......]< There's you Answer, IMO ;tu

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Really? Its just my wife, me and two dogs. I have actually been looking at toy haulers. Not so much for hauling toys (maybe eventually) but for gear, dogs, tailgating, etc.

Well...sounds like the wife and I need to go do some looking to see what we like.

thanks guys!!

dpantazis

Reaction score
I:
i have been lusting after a toy hauler for the same reasons... toybox for dog crates and training gear, muddy and wet gear, etc... maybe a 4 wheeler someday.

btw: my dogs ALWAYS ride in a box on the back of the truck. just gear in the trailer.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Anybody got any suggestions? Here are a few requirements.

$10k or less
full bath
18-20 ft long and VERY max
self contained
AC and heat
I have heard some are aluminum framed and some are wood framed - I want aluminum

Thats about it......

Thanks in advance!!!

"$10k or less"--That's gonna be a tad difficult on a new unit, used will be easier.

"full bath"--Tha's gonna be open to interpretation. On a 18'-20' unit, a "full bath" is going to be more like a small closet with a small toilet, sink, and a SMALL tub/shower only good for someone under 5'10".

"18-20' long"-- the important feature you'll be wise to seek is a queen sized regular bed with a real mattress. Stay away from dinettes or sofas that convert to a "bed". Your back will appreciate it later.

"Self contained/ AC & heat"-- without a 30 amp electrical plug-in, you will need a generator to run the AC. Without a plug-in or generator, the heater will function on battery, for a while. Once the battery dies, the fridge may quit working too. Most larger fridges are fueled by either propane or 110v AC, it's electronics require 12v DC.

"Aluminum/ Wood framed"-- Wood framed or "stick & tin" construction is less expensive, but it is more prone to dents from the occasional "oops" or hail stones. They are also easier to repair. Aluminum framed/ smooth sides are a bit more expensive, are more resistant to the types of damage I mentioned. Repairs are more involved, requiring someone who knows fiberglass repair. They also hold their value better than "stick & tin" campers.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58