best mileage from a powerstroke

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I drive to work (25 miles each way, highway @ 50 mph and freeway @ 65 mph) I usually get around 18 mpg if I am a little carefull with the pedal. As an experiment I tried to drive at 40 / 55 mph, and be extremely carefull when accelerating. The result was 19,63 mpg!:tounge My SD is completely stock, but with a glass-fibre bed cover. And FYI these numbers are calculated at the gas tank, using the pump and not the lie-o-meter! (And not with an added 20% for forum bragging!;))

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Best I've seen with my 4.10 rear end is just under 20 mpg, but that was on the interstate driving like an elder female school teacher.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
My best single tank, hand calculated, highway mileage was 22.5 mpg. This was driving like granny though. I have had a couple of 20 mpg tanks in the past. This was all prior to ULSD fuel also.

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i avg 17-18 on the hwy and my best ever is slightly over 22 with my 96 cc 4x4. mods are 3.55 gears, TW chip, intercooler, elec fuel system, intake and exhaust.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I started running WVO and could keep track I got about 21 on the hwy as long as I kept it at 60-65. Empty of course and with a canopy.

I remembered this article from awhile back from DP mag. Might help you squeeze another MPG out of your truck. Not sure if it is worth it to drive a truck that looks like that though. What a pain.

2000 Ford F350 MPG Vehicle Specs - Diesel Power Magazine

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i avg 17-18 on the hwy and my best ever is slightly over 22 with my 96 cc 4x4. mods are 3.55 gears, TW chip, intercooler, elec fuel system, intake and exhaust.

makes ya wonder why they stopped offering the 3.55 option (99-07)
we know why theyve resumed the 3.55 (now standard) w/ the 08's

i mean if these trucks could pull w/ a 3.55 why on earth did55 they
delete the 3.55 even as a choice !

question...was the 3.55 available in a ltd. slip ?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score

makes ya wonder why they stopped offering the 3.55 option (99-07)
we know why theyve resumed the 3.55 (now standard) w/ the 08's

i mean if these trucks could pull w/ a 3.55 why on earth did55 they
delete the 3.55 even as a choice !

I consistantly averaged 17-18 with my 4:10 in my 95.

question...was the 3.55 available in a ltd. slip ?

Yes, it would have been axle code C3 in the 92-98 MY trucks.

carpenter1793

searchin for a PSD
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys. I do not own a Powerstroke or a diesel at all for that matter but I am planning to buy one in the next year. This is what i am looking for and hopefully you can help me out. I work construction as a union carpenter and sometimes have to travel out of state for work so lots of driving will be involved with this truck and is partly why I want a diesel. I need a crew cab long bed. This is due to 3 or 4 other guys having to ride with me when we go out of town for work and I need to be able to throw X sheets of plywood or drywall in the bed I feel it would also be helpful when I have to pull a lbs approx scissor lift. My questions is will a the 7.3 be a better choice for mileage or a 6.0? and again I would like 4 wheel drive crew cab long bed. Any other critical things that I could do to improve mileage other than the obvious of drive slower and more carefully and keeping the tires inflated to the proper pressure? I have seen several articles in diesel magazines lately to help with the mileage on the PSD one of which is Diesel World - More MPG for Your Super Duty I found the article very informative and helpful and plan to do the things they suggested as a reference for better mileage. Anything else would be appreciated.

Tyler from St. Louis

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58