Best oil for 6.4

jmoney33

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Need to do an oil change and wanna do it myself what is a good oil and filter and where do you all get it locally i know it has probrably been talked about but cannot find anything.

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only help you with a full synthetic oil and filter that would be shipped to your door for a very reasonable cost for synthetics.

Fine69

Reaction score
You'll get a bunch of opinions on this, along with the obligatory Amsoil commercial, but I always, always, ALWAYS, use Motorcraft filters, available at Wally World for about $17, and either Rotella 15/40 or Motorcraft 15/40.

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There ya go, he beat me to it!

Come on Bob I thought it was pretty good. :clap: I really didn't go into a whole disertation on the oils and fill the post with links to the Amsoil site like some guys do who don't really know enough about the oils to talk about them so they just provide links. I made him aware that I am here and left it to him to ask questions. :sweet

Last edited:

Fine69

Reaction score
I have nothing against you or Amsoil, I just always laugh when SOME Amsoil salesman type people talk as if you MUST use Amsoil or else. I have used Amsoil products before, and have had good results. I just wanted to point out to the original poster the options he has. Again, nothing personal, and Thank You for being a site sponsor!:sweet

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against you or Amsoil, I just always laugh when SOME Amsoil salesman type people talk as if you MUST use Amsoil or else. I have used Amsoil products before, and have had good results. I just wanted to point out to the original poster the options he has. Again, nothing personal, and Thank You for being a site sponsor!:sweet

I try never take anything personal on these sites. There are some Amsoil haters and synthetic haters and truely ignorant people on some of these sites. I do try very hard to supply help & facts and learn the facts when I don't know them. :wflag

I know Amsoil in particular and synthetics in general aren't for everybody. I would be a fool to think they were. I also know Amsoil is not the end all of oils. Its a good product and if people want to use synthetics then I will be here to get them a great price on one of the top Synthetics that is available to them. :sweet

I enjoy being a site sponsor and learning more about things that I am weak in or don't know squat at all! :innocent I appreciate the opportunities from the members to at least give some pricing and and be considered when they purcahse oils or bypass or just want to ask questions!

idiabuse

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
How many 6.4s drive around with coolant in the oil making sludge causing turbo/engine failures?
Mine is at the dealer sludged out with only 24,000 miles
Oil is good on the UOA report but flagged with coolant
424PPM sodium, Ford wont fix engine due to lack of oil change.
Javier

Fine69

Reaction score
How many 6.4s drive around with coolant in the oil making sludge causing turbo/engine failures?
Mine is at the dealer sludged out with only 24,000 miles
Oil is good on the UOA report but flagged with coolant
424PPM sodium, Ford wont fix engine due to lack of oil change.
Javier

You have 24,000 miles without changing the oil?:eek:

idiabuse

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You have 24,000 miles without changing the oil?:eek:

19,000 miles on the trucks 2nd oil change.
Javier
miles on oil sample
Aluminum 13
Chromium 2
nickel 2
Iron 162
Copper 9
Lead 43
Tin 5
Moly 9
Potassium 15
Silicon 10