Best Performance Mods for under $1500

jdenny21

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Best Performance Mods for under $1500
Hello all,
This is my first post in this forum as I'll be picking up my first diesel truck in the next few days. I'm purchasing a used 2011 F350 6.7L Lariat with approx 30k miles on it and am looking for the best performance mods (both fuel econ and hp/torque) that can be had for under $1500 total.

I don't know much about what is available mod wise for the 2011 superduty, but from the brief research I've done I'm somewhat familiar with the different tuners, but am lost when it comes to the exhaust tweaks.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions and opinions on how you feel $1500 would be best spent on this truck.

As far as warranty is concerned, I would like to keep the work reversible if possible, but if that can't be avoided I'm still interested.

Thank you all very much.

JD

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
h&s for tuner...i hear the h&s is both mean and economical (on the gas gauge) as far as exhaust, i havent heard too much bc guys still want their warranties... i drive a 6.0 that is straight piped from turbo back but then again i have no emissions or warranty...lol

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I'd drive it a while first. Maybe you'll decide it's pretty good just like it is (they are) Send me the $1500 for the advice. :lmao

Remember you still have a warranty. I've become a guy that likes my warranty more that I like modding. And I like to mod. A lot. :D

Welcome to the forum and don't forget to post up some pics when you get the truck. :sweet

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
For $1500 you could do a full delete. I am happy with H&S. Like others said, drive it for a while. It will feel like a new truck when you tune it.

jdenny21

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
For $1500 you could do a full delete. I am happy with H&S. Like others said, drive it for a while. It will feel like a new truck when you tune it.

I definitely plan on driving it for awhile before doing any mods, but know I'll want some more power sooner than later... I'm trying to ease the pain as this F350 is replacing my 540 rwhp C6 Vette; Have my first child on the way and the wife said it had to go! Though, I've LOVED the superduty's for sometime now and am pumped to pick it up on Friday!

What does a full delete entail? I assume that would effect the exhaust note? (not something I mind as long as I can keep it somewhat mild at idle, and throaty and loud under full throttle)

What type of performance gains would you expect from a full delete?

Would you also need a tune with a full delete?

Would it pass emissions? Through a Check Engine Light?

I apologize for being so clueless when it comes to anything diesel, and all of your suggestions / tips are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited:

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im as clueless as you...lol i think the new diesels by law have to pass emmissions which means to me, they have to have a muffler and cat.... my 05 only has to pass safety...so mines completely gone...ive heard the 6.4 at idle with full straight pipe and its relatively quiet untill you lay off into it hard!

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
A deleted truck will not pass emissions. No check engine light. Most tuners will connect via the OBD port so it will need to be removed to run a test anyways.

A tune will be needed to run deleted. The H&S comes with DPF on and off tunes so you could run DPF on tunes for a while and then go the full delete route.

There are also kits to delete the EGR which involve very simple block off plates to full removal of the EGR cooler. Most are going with the plates. Removal of the EGR is only for looks IMHO.

There are numerous kits out there. DPF (diesel particulate filter) back exausts wont do anything but change the looks of the exhaust tip. DPF delete will remove the entire DPF (you'll see how huge this thing is when you get your truck. Removal of the DPF involves removal of numerous sensors. The pipe is flanged and fairly easy to remove once all of the sensors are removed. A stock truck will put down around 330 HP. Tuned you are looking at 490 to 520 depending on the tuner.

Exhaust note wise, the idle note is a little deeper and noticeable over stock but still much quieter than my 7.3 with a 5' straight pipe. Wide open is a deep and throaty rumble that even my wife thinks sounds good.

I think I answered all of your questions. Post up any more if you have them. Welcome to SDD and congrats on the pending additions to the family (in the house and in the driveway).

jdenny21

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info all.

Any suggestions on pros / cons of delete kits?

I've put a couple thousand miles on her stock, and have decided I'd like to hear and feel more HP/TQ...

Also, how do you get around emissions? On my catalytic converterLESS corvette, the remove O2 sensors were deleted for the computer, therefore it did not through a CEL and passed emission with flying colors here in MO. Are Diesels the same?

I have a buddy to owns a shop that does emissions, but they have to plug into the state system and before I take the plunge, I need to find a way to pass inspection.

Thanks again.

P.S. I'm loving the new truck, but def miss the C6.

A deleted truck will not pass emissions. No check engine light. Most tuners will connect via the OBD port so it will need to be removed to run a test anyways.

A tune will be needed to run deleted. The H&S comes with DPF on and off tunes so you could run DPF on tunes for a while and then go the full delete route.

There are also kits to delete the EGR which involve very simple block off plates to full removal of the EGR cooler. Most are going with the plates. Removal of the EGR is only for looks IMHO.

There are numerous kits out there. DPF (diesel particulate filter) back exausts wont do anything but change the looks of the exhaust tip. DPF delete will remove the entire DPF (you'll see how huge this thing is when you get your truck. Removal of the DPF involves removal of numerous sensors. The pipe is flanged and fairly easy to remove once all of the sensors are removed. A stock truck will put down around 330 HP. Tuned you are looking at 490 to 520 depending on the tuner.

Exhaust note wise, the idle note is a little deeper and noticeable over stock but still much quieter than my 7.3 with a 5' straight pipe. Wide open is a deep and throaty rumble that even my wife thinks sounds good.

I think I answered all of your questions. Post up any more if you have them. Welcome to SDD and congrats on the pending additions to the family (in the house and in the driveway).

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
You will need to re-install the DPF and EGR in order to pass emissions testing. You will also need to reload the stock programing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58