Best place to get coolant

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I have the waterpump-derived coolant filter from Dieselsite.

Want to extend the system, and use coolant to heat my veggie fuel lines. Is that the best place to get good flow/volume? Bob Riley informed me that coolant is 'always flowing' through that port on the waterpump.

What about the heater hoses (but they don't get warm coolant until after the T-stat opens, correct?)

I also have Dieselsite's A/C mod, which tees into the heater hose - would that hamper using coolant from the heater hoses (I admittedly know very little about the A/C mod, except that it works very well - hooks into some vacuum(?) lines under the glove box... :dunno ).

:thanks

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water flows THRU the engine block, into the heater core, back to the water pump and recirculates like that until the thermistat opens up, then it flows into the radiator to be cooled.

The coolant filters that use the port just below the thermistat will flow coolant regardless of themistat postition. Just like the heater core.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Most vets with boxes in the bed use the heater hoses. I believe fordnut74 used them as well, its been a while since I've seen his truck.

Scott

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
do either of those locations flow more fluid?

Then the sole function of the t-stat is to keep coolant out of the radiator?

What about the dieselsite product in my heater hose, will that pose an issue for my application?

thanks again, Daryl and Scott

:thanks

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the thermistat is to keep coolant OUT. If your engine is COLD, you can actually run the engine with the upper radiator hose OFF and you shouldnt lose any fluid. At least on mine none came out. Was kinda cool!

Taking a feed off the radiator hose wouldnt be a bad idea. The coolant has just come out of the engine block, and will be the hottest. I would keep everything in SERIES and try not to make any "T" fittings to split off a feed line.

By keeping it in series, the pressure drop is less, and your flow will be better I think.

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Taking a feed off the radiator hose wouldnt be a bad idea. The coolant has just come out of the engine block, and will be the hottest. I would keep everything in SERIES and try not to make any "T" fittings to split off a feed line.

By keeping it in series, the pressure drop is less, and your flow will be better I think.

I'm unsure what you mean by radiator hose here - which hose, the heater core return hose?

I read over at TDS about a fellow replumbing his coolant filter so it wouldn't drain into the degas bottle, with the theory that draining into the degas bottle was effectively bypassing the thermostat and making the engine stay cooler longer. He plumbed it into the heater lines.

However, upon reading about my A/C control valve on dieselsite.com, I see that that shuts off flow through the heater hoses when max A/C is on. I really like the function of this mod, so I don't want to lose it. But I'll always need hot coolant....so, it looks like I will:

1. plumb coolant filter inline with heater hoses, like stevebkfld on TDS did, and
  2. run coolant to my veggie system from the unused 3/8" port on the water pump.

I sure hope that the flow from that unused port will suit my needs. Are there any other options?

Thanks!

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RazzyB said:
I'm unsure what you mean by radiator hose here - which hose, the heater core return hose?

Sorry, I meant heater core hose. Brain was going faster than fingers.

Sounds like you have a plan. I dont really agree on the "coolant filters take longer to heat up truck" logic, as the volume of water moved isnt THAT much, that the truck would stay cold longer. I've read those posts too about guys changing, but I dont think its THAT big a deal.

However, an unrestricted flow from the water pump to the cold oil tank could really flow some volume, and THAT may take longer to heat your engine, but your going to fight that problem whether you run your lines from the heater core or the water pump anywayz.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
RazzyB said:
I read over at TDS about a fellow replumbing his coolant filter so it wouldn't drain into the degas bottle, with the theory that draining into the degas bottle was effectively bypassing the thermostat and making the engine stay cooler longer. He plumbed it into the heater lines.

I have the waterpump-derived coolant filter from Dieselsite.
So do I.

Do you know what percentage of the coolant is being bypassed by the water pump port? Its gotta be a very small amount...right?

As far as my oil bypass, I thought it was only 10% or so going through my oil bypass filter. :dunno

Last edited:

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
However, an unrestricted flow from the water pump to the cold oil tank could really flow some volume, and THAT may take longer to heat your engine, but your going to fight that problem whether you run your lines from the heater core or the water pump anywayz.

Yeah, I just hope that that flow will be sufficient. I just remember posts (including yours at TDS) (and my own personal experience) that the flow was less than impressive into the degas bottle...hopefully that was due to the filter itself and not due to the inherent lack of overall flow from that port on the waterpump. In fact, I never even saw any flow into the degas bottle when the engine was cold... :dunno

What about some sort of valve to allow flow from that port only when the engine approaches operating temp?

Sheesh, I better hurry up and figure this out, I'm tired of thinking and ready to be Doing!!! If you're not careful, I'll have to rope you into helping me when you get back :D

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
hheynow said:
So do I.

Do you know what percentage of the coolant is being bypassed by the water pump port? Its gotta be a very small amount...right?

As far as my oil bypass, I thought it was only 10% or so going through my oil bypass filter. :dunno

I wish I knew, as you can tell by this entire discussion. Have you seen the flow into the degas bottle, I'm hoping that the flow without the filter apparatus attached is significantly higher...cross my fingers, I guess. :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg