Question Best place to mount a CB Radio and Antenna

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All suggestions welcomed. Cost not a problem. Truck is an '08 F250 Crew Cab HD Signature model.

Thanks,

Jimmy

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
I mounted my CB just above the rear view mirror on my 03'.... I liked the "big rig" look of it... my 05 has storage mounted up there so I can't put it back up there.... I mounted the hick sticks behind the cab on my tool box.. i loved the look... both antennas were about 5 inches above the cab... gave the truck a nice attribute...

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BEST place for the antenna is the center of the roof...hands down.

I've got a Wilson mag mount, but I wish I would have just gone with the permanant mount instead...I let the CB shop owner and a buddy talk me out of it and I shouldn't have.

Anyway, the radio itself just depends on the room you have available and just how many bells and whistles you want or think you want from the radio.

One thing to remember, a good quality and properly tuned antenna is by far more important than the radio

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score

One thing to remember, a good quality and properly tuned antenna is by far more important than the radio

If you have two antennas I don't think it would look very sharp to have them placed in the center of the roof?? IMHO It all depends on your preference...

X2 the good quality and properly tuned antenna is more important than the radio..

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I agree with the dead center of the roof if you want the signal to radiate equally in all directions. 2 antenna mounted, one on each mirror (ideally a 1/4 wave length apart, 8'3" if I remember correctly) will radiate with a gain if you want to talk in front and backwards with much less power going to the sides. Most truckers prefer this because it also increases the signal coming in for receiving and out for the straight stretches of road. Lessens the receiving signal coming in from the side.
Mag mount in the center of the roof is about as good as it gets.
Jim

Last edited:

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
X2!

X2!

If you have two antennas I don't think it would look very sharp to have them placed in the center of the roof?? IMHO It all depends on your preference...
One antenna tunes out better than two. But, you are absolutely correct, it comes down to preference.
  • If you prefer performance, go with one perfectly tuned (use an swr meter) antenna mounted above the highest surface area of your vehicle
  • If you prefer the looks of two antennas, mount them at least 8ft apart, and tune them as best you can. They also should be mounted above the highest surface area of your vehicle

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14