Best trans upgrade?

2001Stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my mods are getting to the point where I need to get a tranny upgrade. I can't afford a new trans so I was just wondering what my best option besides that would be.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Sonnax is cheapest at $50, many like. Transgo Tugger a bit more at $100 and more work to install but does more for the tranny. Valve body ~$250, many like but basically tugger with valve body work done by someone else. Rebuilt tranny ~$3,500 the best but most expensive.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Youve got a set of guages and that is honestly one of the most important items to insure long tranny life, keep it cool. The valve body kits that Reno mentioned are a very good choice as would be an upgraded torque convertor for improved lockups and a bypass filtration system to keep the fluid clean.

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
I went with the Banks TransCommand. I find it works great. I also installed a tranny cooler out of a 2004 which is about 2.5 times larger than the one in your truck and an Autometer Tranny temp gauge. I was told by a shop forman at the dealer where I get my truck serviced that the tranny cooler upgrade was an excellent idea.

mad_matt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
trans update

Here is what I think you should do. Speaking from FH experience as how I broke my trans with some simple mods. I hd a VB update on order and the trans gave up the day it arrived.

Valve Body update from BTS or orhr repoutable Ford Trans god
Bigger Trans cooler if you tow or hot rod. 6.8 or 6.0 coolers are direct bolt on and can be gotton cheap now. 6.0 collers are 400% larger than the stocket and cab be found. BTW I have a couple.
New TC with better clutchpack and so on. IT will set you back 225 for VB, Cooler 100-150 and a TC can run from 800-1500 or more and required a trans removal. I'd start with an update VB and cooler and see if you TC is slipping. If it is replace it before it fails.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58