Newbie Best Way to Bust out a Cat Converter

Trailer Trash

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all! New to this site, long-time diesel guy. A friend told me to check you all out, so here I am. My current ride is all stock (2" level kit) 2003, F-250, 6.0, 4 doors, etc...because I got tired of fixing the other ones. Just moved to Southeast PA from years in Phoenix, AZ....CHANGES!! Any way, looking to improve mileage/lower EGT's by busting out guts of Cat. Anyone else done it? Thanks...have a great evening!

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Trailer Trash, glad you found your way over to SDD. How's the weather on the other end of the Appalachins? If you do not have to have your emmissions tested annually then just remove the cat and put a piece of pipe in the place of it. Don't throw the cat away, you may need to put it back on one day.

Last edited:

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD!!!! That's quite a change (AZ to PA). Usually people go the opposite direction. I agree with Smoky, if you take off the cat, save it if you need it later.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't bust up the Cat. Get a bypass pipe (test pipe) and remove the Cat and keep it for when you might need it. We here in California HAVE to run Cats, so take a lesson and keep the Cat handy. :welcome4 to SDD!

Dave :)

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Trailer Trash, glad you found your way over to SDD. How's the weather on the other end of the Appalachins? If you do not have to have your emmissions tested annually then just remove the cat and put a piece of pipe in the place of it. Don't throw the cat away, you may need to put it back on one day.

Tbar

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SSD.com and X 3 on the test pipe and keeping the Cat in storage in case
you need it for a test later.
Doug

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having mine gutted I need it for a visual in AZ

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SSD.com and X 3 on the test pipe and keeping the Cat in storage in case
you need it for a test later.
Doug

Welcome to SDD.com and X 4 on the Cat delete..

Joe

Roland_Jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. I did and regret it . . a little. Anyways, to answer your question, I used a two inch pipe and a BFH.

Better thing to do is get what is called a test pipe to replace the cat. Comes time to trade it in or emissions you'll be glad you didn't destroy it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg