Best year model SD 7.3L?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
My buddy has my exact '97 F-350 PSD 4WD reg cab but he wants to trade up to a SD 7.3L. He wants to know which year model ('99-'02) has the best record. I told him '02 because it seems that during the last year model [of any vehicle's production] all the bugs have been worked out.

With your suggestions please tell me why that year model is better.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy has my exact '97 F-350 PSD 4WD reg cab but he wants to trade up to a SD 7.3L. He wants to know which year model ('99-'02) has the best record. I told him '02 because it seems that during the last year model [of any vehicle's production] all the bugs have been worked out.

With your suggestions please tell me why that year model is better.

I'd take a look at a 2000 since that's the last year, IIRC, that came stock with forged connecting rods. If the truck isn't going to stay stock, you can put more power safely through forged rods vs. the PMRs that, again IIRC, started being phased in the in the 2001 MY.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Do the forged rods even become issue on most trucks? If you're only doing the big 3 power adders (chip, intake, exhaust) is it really THAT big of a deal? If you're going for BIG power I can see it, but for most trucks it doesn't seem to be an issue.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the forged rods even become issue on most trucks? If you're only doing the big 3 power adders (chip, intake, exhaust) is it really THAT big of a deal? If you're going for BIG power I can see it, but for most trucks it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Maybe it's not a problem for most folks, but if you're looking at a 7.3 (even the newest of which are 5+ years old now), why not look back another year or two and get a PSD that can handle the power that all but the very-most-depraved HP nuts will throw at it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14