Beware of rock hammered tires

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
i have a set of BFgoodwrench tire on my truck. recently noticed a small bulge between the tread on the top of the wall. it continued to get worse. looks like a plug working its way out... then i looked at the rest of the tire. several similar bumps in an earlier stage... then i looked at the other tires, ALL of my tires have these pimples that erupt and spew the inside of the tire rubber!

I took the truck to a goodwrench dealer and they said they have seen it happen on logging trucks. it is from the inner steel belts snapping, usualy caused from rocks hammering into the tires. then they just fall apart from the inside out.

they say i dont have enough tread for compensation... though i would not need tire for another 6 to 8 months if it werent for this issue.

i'm not sure what happened to the tires... i only ride on the road. nothing severe to damage the tires. i belive this to be a manufactureing defect and i think the tires should be replaced. anyone else have an issue like this?

also since i need new tires, i was considering jumping up to 38". i am trying to figure how much of a decreace in mpg this will create... in real mpg though, not odometer miscalculation?

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had several sets of BFGs and never had any problems usualy last 50000mi or more. what is the mialage on them. Also what you are discribing is called impact damage if you dont go offroad the major cause is potholes or curbs does some one else use your truck. Thay may have hit one and didnt tell you:eek: . Im sure some others may chime in on this with other answers.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
no one else drives the truck. no potholes here. i have 48000 miles on the tires. i guess my main consers is that this is ocurring to all four tires. i'd hate for this to ever happen again, so whatever i can to avoid this in the future...

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My last set of tires were Goodyear MTRs. I loved them. They hummed a little but I got 65-70K out of them. And most of that was highway. Maybe 5K offroad if that.

Reaction score
All i gotta say is wow. Coming from someone who has been driving off road almost everyday for over 7 years. I have never seen or heard of what yer talkin about. Last tires i ran were bf goodrich all terrains and i put bout 45k miles on them and never had a problem except for the time i ran over a pallet twice and got a nail. Sounds to me like a defective tire and next time buy them from discount tire dont matter if they are bald you still get 100% the cost of the tire if there is a problem.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
so does anyone have any input on the tire size vs true mpg? i'm trying to weigh the initial and long term casts of the additional 3" of tire height.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Since i need new tires, I was considering jumping up to 38". I am trying to figure how much of a decrease in mpg this will create... in real mpg though, not odometer miscalculation?

Hard to tell from sure but like they say if you are going to play you are going to pay. I have 35" rubber and it is a struggle to get 16mpg with a tail wind where some guys can come close to 20mpg. I only get about 11 with my camper and boat and about 13 around town empty. I am guessing that I could increase this by about 3mpg with stock size tires so going up to 38" rubber would probably drop me down 2mpg. Just guessing but it will make a noticeable impact on the mpg.

On a side not you do know that you can recalibrate your speedometer so that it is correct with the big tires? It is a very easy procedure that you can do in about five minutes. The directions are in the Wiki.

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
Dont want o hijack but, you guys were getting 50000 out of a set of tires!!!!! geeesh, i would only get like 20,000 out of my old wildcat EXT's
Do ya think the BF All terrains would be good to get on the dually?

Teggleston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I run is BFG's on everything I own. I made a mistake and bought some pro comps and put them on my Dually that was bad. I have not had the time to get them changed yet but will soon. I have never had a BFG go bad or get under 45k and I dont babe them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14