Big-Block gas engine options.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Will Ford ever build another big block V8? They now have the small-block 5.4L Triton V8 (330ci) but no bigger V8. They do have the 6.8L Triton V10 (415ci) with 362 horse but they are a gas guzzler. GM has the Vortec 8100 (496ci). What happened to the old days when Ford built a 460? I am making plans for a boat build in a few years but the only options out there right now for big block power are the GM engines. Seems like most of the jet-boats being built either have a 325 hp 5.7 or 375/420hp 8.1 GM engine hooked to a Hamilton 212 pump. I am not much of a GM fan but Ford isn't even in the game anymore. Some older jetboats have 302, 351 or 460 Ford power but nothing late model. I think they quit the 460 marine engine in 1987 and the others in 1992. Any inside information out there?

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
i doubt it due to the fact that it was nearly impossible to get the older 460s includeing the EFI ones to pass emissions.only way i got a 460 to pass emissions was to have it burning so rich that you couldnt be within 40 feet of it.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
Only way I got a 460 to pass emissions was to have it burning so rich that you couldn't be within 40 feet of it.
Sounds real environmentally friendly :rolleyes: I would like to see a 500+ ci all aluminum block(light) for my new sled :D

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
i doubt it due to the fact that it was nearly impossible to get the older 460s includeing the EFI ones to pass emissions.only way i got a 460 to pass emissions was to have it burning so rich that you couldnt be within 40 feet of it.
What do you mean burning "rich"? Like really high octane?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
2005Diesel said:
What do you mean burning "rich"? Like really high octane?

Ahh grass hoppa............. this is a term from before fuel injection and computer controlled engine management days.

Back when all you had to do was pop the hood and make a few carbeurator adjustments and fiddle with the timing. Rich means over fueled.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Hey Crumm, for what it's worth the GM 350 in my 26' Monterey has been sitting for about 2 years. 2 new dual purpose batteries, a little gas fixer upper (stale gas doesn't burn real good lol), and a few pumps on the throttle and I liked to chit my britches when it spun over and caught on the third attempt, sputtered for a minute then settled down into a very nice throaty rumble that brought all the neighborhood kids a running, and killed many a skeeter.

In marine applications GM gassers for inboards are the only way to go IMHO, their easier to work on than the Volvo's and parts are easier to get and much cheaper.

Now if ya want a sho nuff motor I got a '64 Buick Nailhead 425 in the back inside a Riviera that's just itching for someone to give it some luvin'.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Ahh grass hoppa............. this is a term from before fuel injection and computer controlled engine management days.

Back when all you had to do was pop the hood and make a few carbeurator adjustments and fiddle with the timing. Rich means over fueled.
Wow, that sounds like fun. I need to get a project....

Crumm said:
:roflmao :roflmao To be young again...;)

More fuel, less air is rich..
Got it, thanks guys.

Djracer

Car Stereo Dude
Reaction score
if your heart is set on a Ford aluminum big block get out your check book and order the engine or the parts to build one!

pdt1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jharvey said:
Now if ya want a sho nuff motor I got a '64 Buick Nailhead 425 in the back inside a Riviera that's just itching for someone to give it some luvin'.

Now that sounds like something to power a boat. I know of quite a few guys running 455 Oldsmobiles in jet boats.

Your best bet if you're set on a Ford is to find an old 460 and a good shop that knows Fords. A bore and stroke job will really wake them up. Or you could always try to put a Powerstroke in it.........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58