Biggest blunder ever!

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I can't believe myself. I changed my fuel filter this afternoon as I have done for the last 5 years. I started it up and checked for leaks around the filter lid as I always do. Seeing no leaks I drove away. About a 1/10 mile down the 55 mph road the truck sputters and dies. :eek: I had enough time to pull off of the road. I crank it but nothing. Then I open the hood and notice the yellow drain lever is open. :doh: I add some fuel to fill the bowl, close it and crank it again. Still nothing. Knowing how bad it is to run out of fuel (but my tank is 1/4 full) and not wanting to crank it until my batteries die and the starter fries, I called GlassDude (Mike) on his cell. He came right over and got me back on the road in minutes! :hail While I was cranking he was under the hood pressing the Schrader valve. Once the air was purged she started right up. :sweet Thanks Mike...:thumbs On returning to my house I see a thin fuel leak straight down my gravel driveway. Good thing it's B100.

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i promise not to laugh

:roflmao :roflmao :sorry
couldn't resist, it just proves we are all human in some form :D

ran my 92 out of fuel often .forget to switch tanks

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry worse has been done. My dad forgot to put the oil drain plug back in and didn't realize it until he poured 2 qts in and saw them speeping under his feet in the garage :roflmao it was pretty funny.

So what is this schrader valve? I've heard these things are impossible to reprime as there is no primer. I will have to look it up. I've come close to running out of fuel numerous times (I have no gauge on my 50 gallon WVO tank) I just go until I feel a shudder and then switch back to my Diesel tank. Come close a couple times as I went from 65-15 before it roared back to life. Usually I catch it right off the bat and it takes a couple seconds but that time I had the cruise on and I was in lala land. :doh:

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
that hurts! Pouring out that liquid gold all the way down the street! :doh:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
So what is this schrader valve? I've heard these things are impossible to reprime as there is no primer.

It's a valve to measure fuel pressure that resembles the valve stem on a tire. Mind you I was not really out of fuel. Dumb me just let in some air and until it was purged nothing was gonna happen. I must have been really lucky that the schrader valve bled my air pocket. This is NOT an experiment one should try to duplicate at home. :D

Once again for those who missed it... :doh: :D

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Man Richard, the lengths you'll go to to keep us entertained :haha

BTW if that was your "biggest blunder ever" you're doing pretty good :sweet

Glad it was a simple mistake, bummer about losing the fuel tho.... I did something similar on a dirt bike once, got me way out in the middle of nowhere before it ran out of fuel...

tpicou96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Speaking of blunders.Forget to tighten one of the connecting rod nuts.Luckily only had to replace rod piston two oilers head gasket and get crank machined.Hurt the wallet a little more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14