Bike rack prob help needed

eddieo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I bought a bumper hitch for our travel trailer to attach a bike rack. On our way out to PA we hit some pretty bad dips in the road and with the weight of 5 bikes it "peeled" the bumper off the mounting. While at the campground, we saw some trailers with cargo carriers that slid out from underneath their travel trailers on rails. As we're looking for something to be able to handle the bikes, a generator and possibly a cooler this option looked like our best answer. Does anyone know where I can find something like this?
Thanks, Eddie

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a bumper hitch for our travel trailer to attach a bike rack. On our way out to PA we hit some pretty bad dips in the road and with the weight of 5 bikes it "peeled" the bumper off the mounting. While at the campground, we saw some trailers with cargo carriers that slid out from underneath their travel trailers on rails. As we're looking for something to be able to handle the bikes, a generator and possibly a cooler this option looked like our best answer. Does anyone know where I can find something like this?
Thanks, Eddie

Sounds like a lot of weight hanging on the back of the trailer. The nice thing about having a travel trailer is that you have the bed of your truck to hold things. Us guys with 5th wheels have to do some creative thinking. They have a bike rack that attaches to the ladder if you have one, but nothing for a generator that I know of.

eddieo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Had the dog, firewood and 2 bikes in the bed, no room for for 4 more . Have a A.R.E. cap so things wont get wet and the dog has room . Going to call an old friend I worked for ( a welder) and see what we cant come up with.

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
The rear bumpers on TT are not worth much. You could replace the rear bumper with heavier wall square tubing. Cut it to the same width and weld it to the frame. Also don't use the rear bumper to store your sewer hose. When the bumper starts to rust out(it will) the rust will wear holes in your plastic hose very quickly(don't ask how I know this.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be very careful hanging a generator on the back of a TT.
It is real easy to overload the rear of a trailer.
You need 20% + on the tongue for it to pull good.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Be very careful hanging a generator on the back of a TT.
It is real easy to overload the rear of a trailer.
You need 20% + on the tongue for it to pull good.

I think he's looking at hanging bikes on the back of his trailer, not a generator. Point is still valid though--watch the weight.

Have you tried Camping World and some of the other camping stores?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
there aint no way i would hang bikes from the ladder
mine is stout but even under the pressure of my conservative 230#s,:D it gives to much.

i get skeered every time i see bikes hanging off a ladder, i just knw the next bump will send a few bike hurling my way.

i good fix might be a class III receiver hitch mounted to the frame, then get a bike rack that just hitches up to the reciever,
camping wolrd has tons of bike racks as does some other purveyors of toys

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought of another suggestion...
I don't know if you can do it with the new PSD, but on my old truck I purchased a front mounted hitch receiver that bolted to the frame. With that, you could mount your bicycles in the front.

eddieo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
there aint no way i would hang bikes from the ladder
mine is stout but even under the pressure of my conservative 230#s,:D it gives to much.

i get skeered every time i see bikes hanging off a ladder, i just knw the next bump will send a few bike hurling my way.

I agree!!! but my idea didn't fair well either.

I have a receiver hitch bike rack and added a bumper receiver ,that is were all my problems started . If I put my Honda 3000 (145 lbs) ice chest full (125) and 5 bikes (130 lbs ) so bout 400 lbs+- on a cargo rack that extends 2 ' past the bumper and mount it to the frame rails transferring the weight to the rails will that work?

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
I would take a good look at the frame on the trailer before you start thinking about that. My frame is decent, but I don't know about tying directly into it, I bet it would damage it.

I originally tried the 2" receiver bolted to the sewer hose storage bin called a bumper, loaded everything up including 2 adult mountain bikes and 1 20" BMX'er. Off we went for Bodega Bay. Fortunately, we stopped in Rohnert Park to meet my lil sis for dinner...When we stopped, I took a walk-around and the bouncing on the road had TORN THE METAL that held the bike rack together!!! Being so far behind the axle, all of the bouncing is dramatically exaggerated. I recall being a kid and liking to sit in the very back seat of the bus because of the bounce on bridges etc. Same thing, I suppose. I hadn't thought of the front mounted receiver. I think the ride would be much better...and being 6'5" tall, I shouldn't have a hard time seeing over them. Problem is, I no longer have a usable bike rack...

In hindsite, I guess you get what you pay for and $50 at Toys R Us doesn't get you much in the form of bike racks!:doh:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14