Bilstein shock owners.....

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed the heavy duty Bilstein shocks in my 05 X diesel and took it for a 40 mile drive.

The ride seemed stiffer but not a whole lot more than stock.

I don't take turns very fast as I don't want to roll over but I wanted to hear from other X owners as to their experience with the Bilsteins.

KevinsOffroad

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2wd 2000 7.3L, Bilsteins in the front, MX6 in the rear

Regarding your question, I don't like them. They seem WAY too stiff. I think Bilstein recently (in the last year or so) changed the valving. Their Chief Valving Dude (CVD, or something, lol) was not happy with the old Chief Valving Dude's valving on the Excursion, so he changed it...so it's likely that I have the earlier valving and don't know how the later valving rides. I have always liked Bilstein shocks on my Jeeps, and sell a lot of them to other Jeepers...just don't like them on the front of my 2wd Excursion. I think a typical non-gas-charged shock would be a better selection for the front, frankly. The springs are stiff enough as they are...a gas-charge just adds more stiffness to the suspension.

Kevin

jamminGMC

"X" owner
Reaction score
2003 X 4wd, recently put the HD Bils on along with a Hellwig rear stabilizer and WOW. Much difference than stock(good). They seem to be a tiny bit stiff, but I like it that way when I am pulling our TT.

jamminGMC:grin

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
I would suggest adjustable shocks always then you can adjust whenever needed to suit you preferences. I have had Rancho 9000 and ProComp MX-6 both are great. Add a swaybar if you don't already have one, that is the TRICK!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14