Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning on buying some bilsteins in the near future for my truck as well as my wifes 01 Durango. Are most guys running the heavy duty bilsteins versus the 5100 series. I 99% sure I will run the heavy dutys but just wanted some input.
second question, does bilstein make a dedicated steering stabilizer for these trucks (just the SD, not the Durango)? I can't seem to find one on E-shocks. the original one in mine started leaking at about 20,000 miles now the second stock replacement is leaking, can't remember the brand but I bought it at napa. i want to say its a monroe but not sure. that POS is leaking and I even fitted a rancho boot that I had hanging around to it.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im running the hd versions <eshocks.com>

bilstein doesnt offer a steering stabilizer.

i bet that monroe is warranted for life.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bet that monroe is warranted for life.[/QUOTE said:
Thats what I thought. turns out that it is a Monroe, but it's a Monroe built for Napa. If it was a Monroe it would be a lifetime warranty, since it's a "Napa" it had a 12 months warranty. what a bunch of BS. Oh well I guess I buy a good one with a lifetime warranty now. Any suggestions on a good one? would a dual be a good choice even with little to no off-roading? the truck will see some heavy plowing duty starting next year, thats why I thought a dual may come in handy.

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can run the standard bilsteins for a steering stabilizer but you have to do them in a dual format and they have to be opposing as they are gas charged

rough country has a generic 5100 look a like you can use in a single application

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you say standard bilsteins, I assume you mean the 5100's, correct? So I could run the HD's at all four corners then the 5100's as steering stabilizers. I was only planning to run a single steering stabilizer but, am now considering a dual set-up because there will be a plow on the truck soon. anyone running a plow and a single or dual set-up with some advice? thanks

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i did mean the 5100s. and your refering to the HDs as the yellow and blue shocks correct.

for a single stabilizer you need a non gas/nitrogen filled shock or it will force the steering to the left. but with a dual opposing shocks they will work against each other.

dual stabilizers are more benefit with larger than 35" tires otherwise a a single is more than adequate

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14